Newbie to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgrief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
(Posted this to wrong section the first time)

I've had saltwater tanks for about 25 years (minus the past 7), and it seems like a lot has changed. Never heard of the fishless tank cycle before reading this forum. Cycling for me has always taking months, and my preparation of the tank before fish is a few days to a week. I know I'm fixin to get bashed here, but;
I always start with a live rock in a dark tank with no light for days.
Add damsels and monitor chemicals
partial water changes to balance toxins
after 4 to 6 months no more water changes ever, just top off due to evaporation.
I also use undergravel filter, that seems to have lost favor as well. I understand about the trapped material in the substrate. I use 1/2 sized undergravel filter seperated in the middle (currently a 10gal in a 36 gal tank), and alternate sides with the powerhead.
Only time I can remember losing a fish, is when I added an aggressive fish to the tank. That's my old school method;
With that said, we hope to get a much larger tank next spring (46 gal is smallest I've ever had), and I think I'm gona try the fishless cycle on it. I'll try any thing once, twice if i like it :)

how were you keeping nitrates under control after the 4 to 6 months with no more water changes? Were you testing for nitrates at this time? Sounds like starting up a new tank will be a very new experience for you. Good luck and welcome

how were you keeping nitrates under control after the 4 to 6 months with no more water changes? Were you testing for nitrates at this time? Sounds like starting up a new tank will be a very new experience for you. Good luck and welcome

My last tank was 125 gal. I think it's the topping off from evaporation that kept my nitrates low. not sure how it will go with a third the size tank. It seemed the large tank evaporated quickly and left a nice crusty salt ring behind. I would scrape the salt back into the water when topping off and it would do a nice job of retaining salinity. It seems like it would drop about 2 " a month, not sure about that...memory is a little fuzzy in my old age:rolleyes:
I had a lionfish in there for about 4 years as the only resident.
And yes, the water was tested often.
P.S. Thank You

Back
Top Bottom