Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

I think they are very adaptable. I have hundreds of them and they even grow under rocks and peek out from below. Some grow great long stems to get into direct light. Towards the top of the reef where the light is strongest, they tend to be smaller. But they can also shrivel up for other reasons, usually not light related. In "border areas" where other corals are stopping their advance, they tend to be smaller and with more texture. For example, my green torch coral takes no prisoners and has created a dead mans zone of a couple of inches around himself. The shrooms there tend to be quite small. I have to pluck them all the time as they grow up thru my Capricornus and other hard corals, of which some seem to ignore them, but the shrooms can kill some of the others, like the caps. Shrooms should be considered moderately aggressive.
Interesting! Yes, mine were in the shade and were bigger, but now they are smaller but i seem to have more of them. Oh ya, they can definitly choke out other corals eventually right?Unfortunatly, i dont have that problem

Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

I think they are very adaptable. I have hundreds of them and they even grow under rocks and peek out from below. Some grow great long stems to get into direct light. Towards the top of the reef where the light is strongest, they tend to be smaller. But they can also shrivel up for other reasons, usually not light related. In "border areas" where other corals are stopping their advance, they tend to be smaller and with more texture. For example, my green torch coral takes no prisoners and has created a dead mans zone of a couple of inches around himself. The shrooms there tend to be quite small. I have to pluck them all the time as they grow up thru my Capricornus and other hard corals, of which some seem to ignore them, but the shrooms can kill some of the others, like the caps. Shrooms should be considered moderately aggressive.
Wow!! I love that red monti cap!! Beautiful!!

Tags
coral, newbie, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com