Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Newest addition! :)

Saw this flame scallop at my LFS today and decided to give him a try

I originally put him in the substrate so how he wedged himself up in between those two rocks he's on I have no clue

Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

Thats cool, i want one but im not sure if hes gonna jump on stuff and knock it down? They are so wicked looking!!!!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I want one of these, I have read they can be tough to keep. Keep us posted and maybe I will give one a shot. It looks great.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
I want one of these, I have read they can be tough to keep. Keep us posted and maybe I will give one a shot. It looks great.
It is surprising how much poo this guy puts out in my tank!

They are only difficult to keep because people don't go out of their way to feed them. I am already dosing my tank with large amounts of live phyto plankton so adding another filter feeder isn't a big deal. Although, I will add that they do die of old age fairly rapidly and by the time most people get them there is usually about 6 months - 1 year left in them. But for a $8 investment it's worth it to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

6mo-1year? That's crazy figured they would last a few years. Not even worth the $8 IMHO.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They supposedly last 3 - 5 years in the wild and when you get them they are generally adults. Technically, this guy was free because I traded in some grape caulerpa for him but meh, I've spent more on things that have died faster
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
They supposedly last 3 - 5 years in the wild and when you get them they are generally adults. Technically, this guy was free because I traded in some grape caulerpa for him but meh, I've spent more on things that have died faster
Me too. Do they reproduce?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, 3 months down the road and my flame scallop is still alive. He poos a lot and I noticed that the amount of waste he makes greatly decreases when I stop dosing phytoplankton to my tank. Since most people have them die by the 3 month mark I am assuming that my phytoplankton culture is giving him enough food to live off of.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That's great to hear. I still want to try one at some point. My coco worm going strong after however many months now at this point has me sold I can do it. I think that our goal of ULNS makes creatures like this difficult when we strip everything out of the water. Your phytoplankton is most def the reason you are being successful. Good job.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com