Nice surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home the other day and found a new fish in my tank :D . My wife had went out and purchased a bi-color dotty back and an orange knobby star. They were both acclimated for an hour and a half and have been active for 2 days now, well not the star so much, but it looks healthy. I have read that bi-color dottybacks may eat ornamental shrimp. This raised my eyebrows because I have a cleaner shrimp that cost more than twice as much. Has anybody had this kind of experience with a dottyback? I would have rather had a royal gramma, but they looked the same to my wife when she got them, and I wasn't there with her.

You are correct, they may go after shrimp. I think a bigger concern with this fish is its very aggressive nature. These are very aggressive and territorial fish and should not be kept with placid species. Might want to reconsider the royal gramma.

My clownfish seemed to go after him the first day but now everybody minds their own business. I plan on adding a Coral Beauty next and that will be the last fish in there. I like the Royal Gramma because the colors fade together, instead of having that definitive line. Does anybody know about a Knobby star? I can't seem to find much on them and the pictures that I do find don't look like the one that I got. I will get a pic of mine and post when I have some time. (when I am not at work :wink: ) I would hate to take the fish back, besides trying to catch it, my wife is so proud of herself for getting the fish on her own, and she is starting to show interest in my tanks. :?

I like the Royal Gramma because the colors fade together
Me to, on closer inspection they are really two very different fish. Great body shape on the gramma as well.
I would hate to take the fish back, besides trying to catch it, my wife is so proud of herself for getting the fish on her own, and she is starting to show interest in my tanks
Do it when she is gone...she may not notice the difference :twisted:

I think now is the time to talk to her (in a very gentle manner) about why we cannot just go out and buy fish randomly. That all choices need to be researched in advance etc.

I have read many posts about a gf or spouse or parent that has bought inappropriate fish for the tank as a gift and disaster has occured or been barely averted. Usually the person will be understanding if this is put in a nice manner. Try suggesting a gift certificate (even a home-made one) for future purchases or spend quality time together researching the next buy....

Just a thought or two.

I think that I will keep a watchful eye on the shrimp for signs of stress and make sure that the dottyback is behaving. It does have a deeper magenta color on its head than the others that I see. The only strange behavior that I have seen is the dottyback carrying some of the cc in his mouth. Is that something that a pseudochromis will do normally?

Back
Top Bottom