"Night diving'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemacros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I just read about 'night diving' by fishfreek. AT night I turn off the lights but usually leave the actinic light on. To do 'night diving' do the actinic lights have to go off too? (And all lights in the room?)

Thanks

JoeMac

The best way to do it is to turn off all the lights for at least an hour or so. Then use a flashlight with a red filter on the lense. The red light doesn't seem to bother the critters as much and most of them will stay out and continue their normal routine. You may be suprised at what you see in there.

Your tank really should have some level of NIGHT. From what I understand on the reef the moon light does not penetrate the water very well since alot if reflected off the surface of the water. Its a natural biological process to have down time from photosynsis for the corals and algae as well as good for the fish.

Many fish require the day/night cycle for correct living conditions. Some only feed at night, While most others sleep.

I have my tanks on a 12 hours on/off schedule.

Back
Top Bottom