night life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
No, not the sandy beach bar kind. I have a red-lens flashlight and love to look after hours. The past week or so I've been staying up about 1 to 2 hours after the lights turn off. I'm simply amazed at the life that comes out to play. Reddish looking worms sticking out of a rock and feeding on an adjacent rock. Tiny looking "bugs" with antenae that scurry around, some seem shy to the red light and some don't mind. About the size of a pencil tip and appear to have segmented body, and very fast. Anybody have a clue what they are? I've also seen 6" long flatworms, bristle worms or fireworms, not exactly sure which. Watched a giant worm tonight that checked out a mushrrom and went cruising elsewhere. Also, my snails seem to love the darkness.

I'm sure many of you have enjoyed the first year of nightlife. I think it's really cool!!! 8)

I agree...although after the first night watching all these crazy critters I was a bit nervous sticking my hand in the tank then next day LOL

Live rock is amazing. lol The little bugs you see sound like amphipods. Busy little guys. :)

Fluff is right about the amphipods. Mine will come out in light, if there is a chunk of food that lands right next to the rock they are under.

Its awesome staying up watching my tank at night! Its kinda like a late night horror movie with all the cool different creatures that come out.

I have only had my LR for a month. I got some cool pieces of Florida Aquacultured that has a lot of growth. When will I see little night creatures though? Unfortunalty I don't think I got any hitchhikers. :(

When will I see little night creatures though?

They are probably already there. Use a flashlight with a red lense about 1-2 hours after lights out. You will be surprised.

Oh! I don't have one with a red lense..just a regular light. I haven't seen those before? Is the red light the only kind that doesn't scare the critters away or something?

Is the red light the only kind that doesn't scare the critters away or something?
Yep. They are not as sensitive to that specific spectrum.
I haven't seen those before
You can get one a Wal/K-mart or any place like that. I'm sure you just never needed one so you didn't really look. My dad was in the military, so I knew about them....but not for fish purposes, found that out somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom