Night Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to think of a good way to have a night light for the tank (won't be on for more then 2-3 hours at night). Mostly something that allows me to see the fish but not to bother them for the night. Now I've been thinking of using a very low (15-45 watt) black light bulb or maybe just a red bulb. Any ideas on something cheap and easy that adds a nice look to the tank at the end of the night??

Peace,
DHS

You would need several of these since they project such tight beam. Or maybe two or three to highlight a couple special corals. I like the idea of a blue party bulb but then again, I'm limited to the amount of money I can throw at my tank.

Mark

Please do not use BLACKLIGhts as they deteriorate the retina and can cause blindness with prolonged use. The blue party light idea sounds great, IMO.

Where did you get the info on the black lights? I have heard their UV emissions were very high. Is this the reason? A friend of mine had talked about using black lights for supplemental UV for some lizards that have high UV requirements. I was somewhat skeptical about this.
Logan J

Well I know that Blacklights are used on night time lizards who otherwise wouldn't get the needed UVs (I use them on my leopard geckos). I was just thinking that with a low enough wattage that the emmisions of UV would be to low to even penetrate the water....but maybe I'm just thinking wrong. Also would a blue light be better then say a red light?!?! I notice that most people here use red lights to find things in the tank at night....oh well maybe I'll try all of the above and see which one looks best....

Also on a side note I found this intresting link about UV lighting
The last part
UVB and UVC, as well as the shortest UVA wavelengths, do not go through ordinary glass. Even Pyrex and other more ordinary forms of heat-resistant glass can be used as shields to block UVB and UVC.
Really makes me think that maybe, just maybe with a glass cover I can use a blacklight without the UVs coming through....what does everyone else think?

Peace,
DHS

Back
Top Bottom