Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2005, 02:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm plenty handy with my hands and my dad has a complete wood working shop but it's 250 miles away so thats out the door.
At this point money is no object to repair the problem at hand so I'll have to do some research tomorrow and see what comes up and thanks for the cookie invite. but I think I need something a little stronger if you know what I mean, LOL

Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like all the companys are proud selling crap! I thing DIY ers like me will be the only ones with their tanks still standing.

Hope everything goes well thumper

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow... seems like they built that out of 1 inch Birch/Oak plywood... even in layers, that shouldn't be strong at all... especially for a 150 gal tank. Even though the crack isn't as bad as I thought, you still don't want to risk it.

Where pic 260 is... there should be at least a 2x4 brace run length wise across the length of the tank, supported by either doubled up 2x4's or a 4x4 with metal "T" brackets. Not sure if the pics show other supports... but looking at that #260, a part of the weight is supported by the NAILS. That brace should be under the cross member, not to the front of it (unless it doesn't support weight, and it's just for show)

You can try contacting Oceanic and see if they can send you a replacement ASAP... maybe if you can even go to a LFS, buy an identical new stand, and they reimburse you. With simple modifications, you can reinforce the heck out the new unit so even the fat lady at the end of the show could lay on it a-o-k.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
hey thumper, don't know how much help i'll be, but if u need any, let me know

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to call them this morning and see what they will do. The store where I purchased it from has one just like it on the showroom floor so I might try the new one and brace the gajeebers out of it if thats a word, if its an option and if not I may contact a cabinet maker and see about having a custom one built. I'll keep you posted and if anyone else has a grand master plan I'm all ears.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Scary, and you know it would have broken and crashed down at 2 am....
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here we go. I'm about to make contact and see where it goes.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The verdict so far is no warranty on their stands.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel your pain, on a much smaller scale. I have my 26g bow front on an All-Glass bowfront stand. The stand was $170 and it is piece of crap My tank basically wobbles if I clean the tank in a side to side motion, I need to go up and down or I think I am going to break it. My marine tank is on a $50 stand I got at freaking Wal Mart and had to put together myself and that stand is solid as a rock.

I am going to drain my tank at some point, reinforce the inside with some 2x4s and contruction adhesive, then put the tank back on it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thumper... you can always retrofit your existing stand, BUT, you would still need to drain it to do it properly. (Think of your stand as the suspension of a car... when changing a tire, you need to relieve the weight first, fix the problem, and then put the weight of the car back on. Once the bracing is in place, the bracing will take over as support, and the stand will be just for show).

As long as you can brace it so that way 80-95% of the weight is carried by your bracing and NOT the existing stand, you should be fine. This would basically mean that the studs you use to brace the brace the beams underneath would have to be cut and made to fight TIGHT so that the sag weight of the tank would be shouldered by your bracing. Then reinforce the crack with proper glue, and metal strips from HD.

If you can't find a local cabinet shop to make one properly for you, this is also another option. You'll lose a lot of space underneath, but a 150 should have plenty of area for a sump to dance in.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com