Nightmare Brewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long have you had the tank, Thumper? I have that same stand in a 120. I'm going to be standing in the store SCREAMING if that happens to me. I'm shuddering just looking at that. Where is that crack at? Nothing like having a ticking time bomb in the house. Have you moved the stuff out yet?

my 175 oceanic bowfront stand is doing the same thing. It has been a ngihtmare from day 1. Oceanic products are horrid as far as quality goes.

Thumper, I am sooo sorry to hear this. Terrible customer service if they won't replace it!!!! :evil:
FWIW what I did with my initial setup is that I braced every support underneath with either a 2X4 or a 2X6 (you can see in my pick). I just didn't trust the thing to hold 210 gallons of water.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Attachments

• sump0001_134.jpg
    sump0001_134.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 107
Good move there Kurt!

Yeah... I would brace ANY new stand I bought from a LFS with 2x4's. But before I filled it ;)

Not too late... just need to be able to take the weight off to perform lumber surgery. :mrgreen:

Mr. smarty pants Quarryshark, Why didnt you tell me this 6 months ago, LOL. A lot of good you are.
More info coming.

Can someone call me at 918-258-0693 at work. I need to ask a favor on emailing some pics. I cant do it from work. Reuben Frazier

Got it figured out, Thanks guys. The ball is in Oceanics court at this point so we will see how their customer support is. If they do happen to replace it I'm still leaning toward a heavy duty stand and try to sell this one to somebody.

Well, that stand can be fixed, for sure

With simple modifications, it can be in better shape compared to a new LFS unit. Just need to make sure that there aren't other major structural flaws. I would buy that unit myself if I were local. I would just fix it up :D

No their not going my way of lately.
As far as selling the thing I honestly doubt I have that option but if I did I would absolutely tell them to brace it. Which is more than I was told when I bought it. LOL

Here is the plan, tell me what you think. My lfs were I purchased the tank from went to Bat for me and got me a new stand so what would be the thoughts on bracing this new one like a brick blank house and going this route. I know it has been mentioned but could this stand be built as strong as I think I need it, or as strong as you would want it after going through this much trouble. In my head I presonally think it could be built as strong as it would ever need to be but I want input from others.
Thanks to Ultimate Reefs in Tulsa for the help,

Good for you! That's the least they could do! They should just be glad that you didn't wait until you had a law suit on your hands before you went to them. I think that you could make the stand so that it was just a pretty face on the brick pooh house that you'll want it to be. Hopefully RLG can give you some good advice on how to get it up to snuff.

What is "needed" may be different on what you will now be comfortable with. Needed... maybe just a couple 2x4 braces. What you might want to do for security sake is a mixture of 4x4 posts with a doubled up 2x4 brace. It would look like a "T" I can send you pics of my stand if you want after work today.

If you put 4 inch I beams in there or 4x4's it will never ever buckle:)

Generaly if they sell you the stand for 150G it will suppoer 150G. I would never ever use it but if you do the math it would work. So if you put a 2x4 in there in every corner and then on two spots in the middle on each side it will do the trick.

Good luck

Rlg2182 I would like to see some pics if possible. This new stand is going to show up Tuesday and I want to have it ready for a swap over by Sunday.

Sorry it took so long :D

Well, These are pics of the basic setup, without metal braces. Those are just metal pieces in the shape of a "T" and an "L" at HD building section. I think they're made by Thompson or something. You don't really need it, but they're only a couple bucks each.

For your tank, I would go with (6) 4x4 posts (one on each corner and two in the middle) with the top brace as (2) 2x4's doubled up like a vertical sandwich. Just like in my pics, but doubled. It is paramount to make sure that the fit of the vertical post to the horizontal beam is TIGHT... not break-the-wood tight, but tight enough that is snug enough to be coaxed in by a hammer. As the stand will naturally sag (and most, if not all do) the entire weight will be taken by the posts, and not the stand.

The only thing that I didn't add was a 2x4 that connected the front set of supports to the back end... but it's not really needed as it holds no weight. You may want to consider adding one from point A to point B and just secure it with a simple 90 degree corner bracket. I'll see if I can go on a hardware sight and get pics of the metal themselves. For now, you can build the entire thing, and reinforce later with brackets (as they hold no weight, they're just for support to make sure the top doesn't slide anywhere off the vertical posts)

Just for reference, the "L" shaped metal piece will go at the (4) identical point C's, and the two "T" brackets will obviously go on the middle two supports.

Back
Top Bottom