Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #31

Man things are not going your way lately!

Old 02-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
try to sell this one to somebody
Awww man! Could you really do that?! Poor unsuspecting reefer, new to the hobby...

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, that stand can be fixed, for sure

With simple modifications, it can be in better shape compared to a new LFS unit. Just need to make sure that there aren't other major structural flaws. I would buy that unit myself if I were local. I would just fix it up
Old 02-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No their not going my way of lately.
As far as selling the thing I honestly doubt I have that option but if I did I would absolutely tell them to brace it. Which is more than I was told when I bought it. LOL
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the plan, tell me what you think. My lfs were I purchased the tank from went to Bat for me and got me a new stand so what would be the thoughts on bracing this new one like a brick blank house and going this route. I know it has been mentioned but could this stand be built as strong as I think I need it, or as strong as you would want it after going through this much trouble. In my head I presonally think it could be built as strong as it would ever need to be but I want input from others.
Thanks to Ultimate Reefs in Tulsa for the help,
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good for you! That's the least they could do! They should just be glad that you didn't wait until you had a law suit on your hands before you went to them. I think that you could make the stand so that it was just a pretty face on the brick pooh house that you'll want it to be. Hopefully RLG can give you some good advice on how to get it up to snuff.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is "needed" may be different on what you will now be comfortable with. Needed... maybe just a couple 2x4 braces. What you might want to do for security sake is a mixture of 4x4 posts with a doubled up 2x4 brace. It would look like a "T" I can send you pics of my stand if you want after work today.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you put 4 inch I beams in there or 4x4's it will never ever buckle

Generaly if they sell you the stand for 150G it will suppoer 150G. I would never ever use it but if you do the math it would work. So if you put a 2x4 in there in every corner and then on two spots in the middle on each side it will do the trick.

Good luck
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rlg2182 I would like to see some pics if possible. This new stand is going to show up Tuesday and I want to have it ready for a swap over by Sunday.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry it took so long

Well, These are pics of the basic setup, without metal braces. Those are just metal pieces in the shape of a "T" and an "L" at HD building section. I think they're made by Thompson or something. You don't really need it, but they're only a couple bucks each.

For your tank, I would go with (6) 4x4 posts (one on each corner and two in the middle) with the top brace as (2) 2x4's doubled up like a vertical sandwich. Just like in my pics, but doubled. It is paramount to make sure that the fit of the vertical post to the horizontal beam is TIGHT... not break-the-wood tight, but tight enough that is snug enough to be coaxed in by a hammer. As the stand will naturally sag (and most, if not all do) the entire weight will be taken by the posts, and not the stand.

The only thing that I didn't add was a 2x4 that connected the front set of supports to the back end... but it's not really needed as it holds no weight. You may want to consider adding one from point A to point B and just secure it with a simple 90 degree corner bracket. I'll see if I can go on a hardware sight and get pics of the metal themselves. For now, you can build the entire thing, and reinforce later with brackets (as they hold no weight, they're just for support to make sure the top doesn't slide anywhere off the vertical posts)

Just for reference, the "L" shaped metal piece will go at the (4) identical point C's, and the two "T" brackets will obviously go on the middle two supports.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com