Nightmare Brewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read a post on another site about a tank busting and loosing everything in the tank along with flooding the entire house, well I go inspect my stand and discover that my frame is cracking and is pretty bad. I have no idea what to do, It's an Oceanic tank with matching stand with a warranty but I bet they will not replace it the way my luck is besides the fact that it is bad enough it could break at any time as one board has moved at least a half an inch. I'm so pissed of right now and I have no idea what to do. It has to be putting my tank under stress in a bad way. I dont know if i need to try and brace it up somehow for the time being or what. I thought this stand was pretty cheaply built and often wondered how it held up to the weight, WELL GUESS WHAT< IT DOESNT. Any ideas on what to do?

DON'T TRY TO BRACE IT!!! If you attempt to drill braces into the wood, it's likely to crack, sending the entire tank on top of you!!!

Best thing is to drain the tank into buckets and pretend like you're moving it. It's a pain in the @ss, but anything else ISN'T safe. If you try and slide the tank to a level surface, it might crack. Believe me, I've tried it.

Get rid of that base ASAP. Last thing you need is killing your fish, or even a pet or loved one 8O ... especially if your tank is large.

EDIT: Holy $#$!! it's a 150 gal?? Yeah... you need to ditch that base. To match the weight of that thank you would need a 2X4 "A" brace that would be able to support atleast a patio roof. I know, I do construction... drain that thing as much as possible, get yourself a sturdy base, and refill. HTH

PM if you need help with any building advice... i'll lend ya my cell number if you're in a hurry

I agree, dont try to move the tank with anything in it!!!!!!

I thought I could do that, guess what? It diden't comme out as I planed!!!!

Drain, get new stand and refill.

If the warranty is still good on the stand, you aren't lucky at all. Would you whant a new POS?
Go out and get something build like a brick, you know what.

I cut a brace for the time being and have it wedged in their but not too tight to cause more problems," I DONT THINK ANYWAY"
Why would a company like Oceanic sell a piece of crap stand like this in the first place, The only reason I went with this stand was that it was the only way I would get a warranty with the tank. I'm so confused right now.

Where would I look into getting a heavy duty stand. If time was no problem I would build it myself but as you can tell time is of the utmost concern here. I want to strangle someone right now, at least I hopefully caught it before it did bust.

Retail tanks are meant to stand the weight of the tank... but with manufacturing processes companies like to save costs. So if it means having 3/4 the needed nails, screws, brads, and nails, they'll do anything to maintain their overhead. Why spend 2X more money to make something right when you can make 2X the profit making something that'll slide by? Amazing how things work that way.

Not sure if you just got a defective unit or what... but even the Mona Lisa is falling appart. Ditch the stand, and worry about warranties later. :idea:

Sounds like a great plan but where the heck do I get a stand from?????????
I could clear out the living room and do it in a day pretty easily but I still need a new stand, and for the record the **#@ with Oceanic's stands and their warranty's.

Hmmm... well. first, just take a second, and eat a cookie. :)

If you can afford to get a new stand, I would advise for it. If you are good with your hands, you can always add 2x4 braces to your new stand and anchor it. If you're not that handy, then I would suggest you contact a local iron shop and have them make you a nice unit out of good old steel, or maybe have them reinforce a nice stand for you. Any way you go, you can keep your fishies alive for a while with a temp setup of rubbermaids, heaters, lights for your corals, and ph's. Last thing you want to do is set up a "temporary" stand and have to move it again.

Good thing you checked up on your stand! :)

EDIT: yeah... eat two cookies. ;)

Any LFS that have stands with 2x4 or 4x4 braces? I know LFS here build their own units, and could hold my car if I could drive them on top of the stand. A simple 4x4 frame with metal frame brackets would be enough to hold that... and I'm sure that it's more than Oceanic has to offer in strength. Call around first. How comfortable are you with DIY, wood, and tools?

Most Oceanic tanks come with a five year warranty. We had a lady who her 72 gallon cracked, and they replaced it for her. They gave her a complete set-up. She also had still had the receipt as well.

Pics of crappy Oceanic Stand

Attachments

• picture_259.jpg
    picture_259.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 333
  • picture_260.jpg
    picture_260.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 150
  • picture_261.jpg
    picture_261.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 167
I'm plenty handy with my hands and my dad has a complete wood working shop but it's 250 miles away so thats out the door.
At this point money is no object to repair the problem at hand so I'll have to do some research tomorrow and see what comes up and thanks for the cookie invite. but I think I need something a little stronger if you know what I mean, LOL

Looks like all the companys are proud selling crap! I thing DIY ers like me will be the only ones with their tanks still standing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope everything goes well thumper

Wow... seems like they built that out of 1 inch Birch/Oak plywood... even in layers, that shouldn't be strong at all... especially for a 150 gal tank. Even though the crack isn't as bad as I thought, you still don't want to risk it.

Where pic 260 is... there should be at least a 2x4 brace run length wise across the length of the tank, supported by either doubled up 2x4's or a 4x4 with metal "T" brackets. Not sure if the pics show other supports... but looking at that #260, a part of the weight is supported by the NAILS. That brace should be under the cross member, not to the front of it (unless it doesn't support weight, and it's just for show)

You can try contacting Oceanic and see if they can send you a replacement ASAP... maybe if you can even go to a LFS, buy an identical new stand, and they reimburse you. With simple modifications, you can reinforce the heck out the new unit so even the fat lady at the end of the show could lay on it a-o-k.

I'm going to call them this morning and see what they will do. The store where I purchased it from has one just like it on the showroom floor so I might try the new one and brace the gajeebers out of it if thats a word, if its an option and if not I may contact a cabinet maker and see about having a custom one built. I'll keep you posted and if anyone else has a grand master plan I'm all ears.

I feel your pain, on a much smaller scale. I have my 26g bow front on an All-Glass bowfront stand. The stand was $170 and it is piece of crap :( My tank basically wobbles if I clean the tank in a side to side motion, I need to go up and down or I think I am going to break it. My marine tank is on a $50 stand I got at freaking Wal Mart and had to put together myself and that stand is solid as a rock.

I am going to drain my tank at some point, reinforce the inside with some 2x4s and contruction adhesive, then put the tank back on it.

Thumper... you can always retrofit your existing stand, BUT, you would still need to drain it to do it properly. (Think of your stand as the suspension of a car... when changing a tire, you need to relieve the weight first, fix the problem, and then put the weight of the car back on. Once the bracing is in place, the bracing will take over as support, and the stand will be just for show).

As long as you can brace it so that way 80-95% of the weight is carried by your bracing and NOT the existing stand, you should be fine. This would basically mean that the studs you use to brace the brace the beams underneath would have to be cut and made to fight TIGHT so that the sag weight of the tank would be shouldered by your bracing. Then reinforce the crack with proper glue, and metal strips from HD.

If you can't find a local cabinet shop to make one properly for you, this is also another option. You'll lose a lot of space underneath, but a 150 should have plenty of area for a sump to dance in. :D

Back
Top Bottom