Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Nippy Nemo

So, I've had a pair of false percs alone in our new tank for about a month. I say alone, there are a lot of inverts and I started adding coral. Today, I was doing a bit of redesign because it just didn't look right. So here I am moving a piece of LR when suddenly one of those things just started attacking me! At first, I just thought it was being friendly, then. I noticed the thing was actually biting me! It didn't hurt, but it was clear that we aren't friends, lol!
__________________

__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
So, I've had a pair of false percs alone in our new tank for about a month. I say alone, there are a lot of inverts and I started adding coral. Today, I was doing a bit of redesign because it just didn't look right. So here I am moving a piece of LR when suddenly one of those things just started attacking me! At first, I just thought it was being friendly, then. I noticed the thing was actually biting me! It didn't hurt, but it was clear that we aren't friends, lol!
Cant tell what you mean by false percs, but usually nipping means breeding, how long has the tank been up and what size?
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: alabama
Posts: 246
They do that..lol I think that's a way of saying feed me.
__________________
bill302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill302 View Post
They do that..lol I think that's a way of saying feed me.
My old tomato clowns never did. But they did come up to me when i had my hands in the tank and tried to scare me off by opening there mouths really wide.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

Cant tell what you mean by false percs, but usually nipping means breeding, how long has the tank been up and what size?
False percula/ocellaris clowns.

They nip from time to time. For what they are and their size they are some brave little fish. Good thing triggers and other more dangerous fish aren't as aggressive.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

False percula/ocellaris clowns.

They nip from time to time. For what they are and their size they are some brave little fish. Good thing triggers and other more dangerous fish aren't as aggressive.
Oh i was a little confused thanks
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post

Cant tell what you mean by false percs, but usually nipping means breeding, how long has the tank been up and what size?
Tank has been up about 6 or 7 weeks. Don't remember if I waited 2 weeks or 3 to add them. I don't think they are breeding. I'm not sure if one has experienced it's conversion . I do think it is, though. One is exploring a lot, much more curious, dominant, and tried to eat my giant Wreck It Ralph hand!
__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
They are protecting their territory. Mine used to do that any time I had my arm in the tank.
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
They are protecting their territory. Mine used to do that any time I had my arm in the tank.
I'm just glad it doesn't hurt, because it wouldn't stop.
__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AbsoluteFaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cream Ridge, NJ
Posts: 1,058
We have them too. The female bites me every time I put my hand on her side of the tank. I shoo her away and she stops after like 3 bites. Very protective of territory. Lol.
__________________

__________________
AbsoluteFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.