Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I myself would not do a 50% water change Too much of a change in the chemical make-up of the water. That is why they reccomend 20 to 25% WC. Why I understand your math I still don`t understand the reasoning of a massive WC. I respectfully say this as I wish not to overstep an Advisor. Thanks

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Because from experience I can say it doesn't hurt your system as long as the salinity, ph and temps are the same. As for my reasoning, if the fish are dying due to high nitrates, the quicker they are taken down the better. If you are using the same salt, the temps are the same, the ph is the same and the salinity is the same, how does that hurt the "chemical make-up"? Here is a link to when I had my nitrate problems.

Also, just because I have advisor under my name doesn't mean I'm always right. I'm still learning lots all the time. I only posted to help this person because I've had experience with fixing a high nitrate problem. This is how I did it with no ill effects to fish/coral/inverts.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #13
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I understand your reasoning but we will just have to agree to disagree. As i told someone in a earlier forum today that 5 years ago I had ick in my tank bad. I went and got a UV light to help take care of the problem. A week later the ick was gone and have not seen it in 5 years since. Now when I put the UV light in the tank the ick disappeared. But you and me both would never tell someone that has ick just go get a UV and everything will be fine. Some people get lucky and some people do something they dont intend to and it works out. I dont know which one was me back then. Its been an interesting talk. I have learned some things.Thank you
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Remora C skimmer and an ocean clear canister filter. I have done 2 20gal changes, my tank is 75gals. Also before I added the lion and puffer, this was after having the damsels in for a week, there were no nitrates. The nitrates have come down a little, but I lost a 3rd damsel this morning. Is there anything I could add to help, like Prime or something. I plan to do another 20gal change tonight.

rdefino is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com