Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should I invest in RO/DI filter or just keep buying water for $5per 5 gallons at my LFS

Well here is the thing. First, you used the old substrate from old tank which would normally give you a problem even how much you have cleaned it. Second, If you are still using the same size of filters for your bigger tank, it is now processing higher volume of water. The third, even your tap water has low nitrate it is loaded with total dissolved solids. The more water you put in the more filtration you will need. Otherwise, it keeps on compounding like what it is doing now.

Well here is the thing. First, you used the old substrate from old tank which would NORMALLY give you a problem even how much you have cleaned it. Second, If you are still using the same size of filters for your bigger tank, it is now processing higher volume of water. The third, even your tap water has low nitrate it is loaded with total dissolved solids. The more water you put in the more filtration you will need. Otherwise, it keeps on compounding like what it is doing now.

1.) Key word "normally"
Substrate is better than new.
2.) Not even close to the same size filter
3.) I'm not just a newbie to this
4.) I'm now using RO/DI WATER
I haven't been because the last 6 tanks I've had I had no problem with it.

I think he's eluding to the fact that your saying you're an experienced aquarist, but yet you dont own an ro/di system use tap water on your 165g system (which is loaded with a ton of dissolved solids--my tap is usually between 200-280!) and also don't know the how to test that with a tds meter. I'm pretty sure that's what he's thinking....

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems with used substrate ever.

Our water is #1 in the US
And has an extremely low Tds

Here's the problem with even the best tap. It still reads above 0 Tds. Rodi is 0. Your tap is reading nitrates which means as you take water out, yes you're removing nitrates but when you put water back in you're adding nitrates. So lets say your nitrates are 10 before a wc, you then do a 10% wc to bring your trates down to 9. Well you add the new water and bam they're up to 11. Rodi saves so much hassle and while expensive up front is quite worth it for a reef tank.

Just out of curiosity bro...where are you?

I'm just curious as to what city has the best water in the us.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems with used substrate ever.

Our water is #1 in the US
And has an extremely low Tds

A good drinking water has lots of minerals in it to promote health. Those minerals are what we call tds. If your tap water has low tds then it would be considered as not good for the health. Once you get your tds meter please let us know.

I'm not going to buy a TDS meter
I'll just figure out how to use this RO/DI filter

You'll need a tds meter to know when it's time to change the filter media on the ro unit. Most units come with meters......

You can bring your rodi water to a friend with a tds meter too. Or a local fish store. It isn't necessary to own one if you can use one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked up my tds meter from ebay for less than $10. :)

Not a bad thing to have and it would shed alot of light on the whole situation.

There is a product called nitrate destroyer. It's an anaerobic bacteria that consumes nitrates and then is consumed in turn by your filter feeders (pods, corals etc). Because they're anaerobic they quickly die and you have to add a capful or 2 daily. Worked for me.
But remember , this is a cure for the result - high nitrates, and not for the cause of them.

Edit:
You also will see a significant increase in your skimmate from the destroyer.

Back
Top Bottom