Nitrate Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Everything has been going well and I just got my first coral, some star polyps. Then I went to do my water change, and my nitrates which had been below 10, spiked to like 80! They have since gone doen to 40. But I am really scared. They have leveled at 40 for 2 days. Is there anything I can do for quick nitrate reduction?

I used distilled water for the change, don't have a RO unit yet.

What can I do?

:hat:

Try to figure out why the level jumped so suddenly. Is any livestock missing? What kind of filtration do you have? Did you just recently replace any filter media? The only way to bring nitrates down quickly is with water changes. Check you fresh make up water and make sure there aren't high nitrates in it as well.

Try to figure out why the level jumped so suddenly. Is any livestock missing? What kind of filtration do you have? Did you just recently replace any filter media? The only way to bring nitrates down quickly is with water changes. Check you fresh make up water and make sure there aren't high nitrates in it as well.

(y) (y)

Yes,

Adding a refugium to your tank is an excellent idea for more reasons than one. It will help remove nitrates and phosphates. I recommend a refugium highly. But for quickness, the water changes would be the way to go here.

BTW--with most test kits, you have to mix it with salt to the correct SG before it will register on the test kit. EDIT (this last section is so you can test your distilled water for nitrates).

Joshsmit56001 said:
Do you have a sumpo because if you do you can put caluerpa in it which will take care of the problem of nitrates as well as ammonia and such.

wat is caluerpa?

Back
Top Bottom