Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

nitrate filters

I have a 125 tank. It has been down for 2 years. I am in the process of retooling. It has a internal bio system with media balls in the back. I have crushed coral and a big hang on protein skimmer. Any latest and greatest stuff I might be missing. Do nitrate filters really work. Or is it the good old water change.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

water changes always help. Another option is you could turn the area with the media balls into a refugium. Id get rid of them either way if you have enough LR. Do you vacuum the CC?

Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have never used live rock. Is that the way to go. Any special requirements to maintain live rock. And yes, I vacuum at each water change.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using crushed coral as a substrate takes a bit more work then using sand. It is corse and tends to trap bits of food and waste casuing the nirtrates to rise. IMO LR, and frequent water chages with RO/DI water are the best ways to keep nitrates in check. The debate is on-going as to the role bio-balls play in increasing nitates. The best thing to do is to use a sponge over the filter intake so it does not suck up large chunks of waste and trap them in the bio-balls. Keep the bio-ball container clean and they do a great job of providing biological filtration.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

live rock is a if orderd form west coast to east is not rercomended. buy it form the south fl area. and cure it when you get it. a great site to go to. to learn about lr and how to cure it they also have great lr that arrives with corraline algae all over the rock. it was the best 1000 i ever spent!!!!!! 8)
Old 06-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

sry fogot the link here it is enjoy all its great for cureing lr

http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html
Old 06-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

sry fogot the link here it is enjoy all its great for cureing lr

http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html
Old 06-06-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only requirement for lr may be an increased number of herbivore snails, and maybe some shrimp to help keep it clean. Good lr comes loaded with detrivores that will also help.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So it sounds like live rock is good, just cure it. Keep the crushed coral vacuumed. I have a sponge over the filter intake. Does a nitrate filter work? Do I need a RO?
P.S. you, you! You guys are good. Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, LR is great! It may be the best advancement in this hobby within the last few years. If your are setting upa new tank just order up some LR on-line and put it in the tank when you cycle. If you are just starting a tank you will not have to cure it first, if putting it into an establish tank you do need to cure it. I would not bother with a nitrate filter, that is what your LR is for onc it is going. Yes, RO/DI is the best thing for your tank. If you are just getting started it is hard to drop another $200 on an RO system so just go to Wal Mart or the grocery tore and buy it by the gal. Most LFS also sell it. LR and RO are the two best ways to keep nitrates in check, IMO. Good luck!

Tags
filter, filters, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com