Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My friend told me I should take my open brain, meat coral and elegance out of the tank because they may be dying off enclosing my nitrates to spike. I do not have another tank in the a lot of money going down tubes!!! Would you recommend that? Have any dying or squirrels ever had the chance to come back and get healthier the ones that I mentioned?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

well if you removed the bio-balls and replaced it with the large chunks of live rock from the display tank, that's your problem right there, you removed a significant portion, if not most of the bacteria colony that was keeping things in check.

Couple that with dying corals, and the other changes you implemented pretty much all at once (I'm assuming) and you more than likely went through a mini cycle and the elevated nitrates are the end result.
How are the other water parameters testing?

In my opinion the cause is you disrupted the systems biological capacity too suddenly.
you should have kept the bio-balls and systematically replace them with something like Seachems Matrix or similarly porous material, it will be MUCH better than the live rock.
Keep the live rock in the display tank and put media that is specifically designed as biological media in the sump.

I VERY strongly advise you to NOT clean out your canister filter at this time as that would remove more bacteria from the system and further compound the problems.
I know that goes counter to the advice already given, but it is the most intelligent step to take at this point.

Keep the canister filter in service, but make it into either a pre-filter that you clean twice a week OR turn it into a bio filter and put it at the very end of the sytem recirculating the water in the return pump section. That way any matter that would be problematic in a canister would have already been removed and clean water is being processed through the canister. That is how mine is set-up.
By doing that you are creating redundancy in your system and it will be more stable and better able to handle whenever you do changes/clean filters if your alternate cleaning the different portions of the system.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ps.,
bleu turn off the auto-correct on your phone, unless you have squirrels in your fish tank.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu View Post
Sorry... I clean the canister about every six months at a time every 3. My ammonia is it zero, nitrates are at 80 my phosphates are at 5, calcium at 420. Nit zero and pH at between 8.2 & 8.4.
Ps that's for the replies

With those nitrate and phosphate numbers your tank should be an algae nightmare. And it's doubtful any of your corals would be alive, and the fish would be getting stressed at those nitrate levels too.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pb : I would agree with you completely except for the fact that theres no ammonia. Theres too much decomposing biological matter in the tank creating the huge nitrate spike. The bio balls have nothing to do with decreasing the nitrate levels so thay doesnt really make sense either.

My best thought at rhe nutrient source atm is the sand. Where did you get the sand from that you put in your refugium?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I've had mushrooms, torch into Blasto's for about a year now also to bubble corals. Within the past 2 1/2 months I've gotten to SPS, and elegance that's giving me problems, but I've done my research and it seems like that's just how they are. I try to do as much research as possible on my quarrels before I purchase but I think my lighting system may also be contributing to my tank messing up. I purchased a marine land reef capable Timer strip. Sad to say that was a waste of money for this set up play I just finished ordering an echo tech GS pro ;-D. Will be getting a second one when I come in to some more money LOL

I have the same light on my 90G and its working great for me. I have placed the light on top of the canopy
My Setup:
Specific gravity 1.025
Temp 79.7
Alk 8dKH
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.2ppm
calcium 420ppm
Magnesium 1250ppm
Old 10-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
With those nitrate and phosphate numbers your tank should be an algae nightmare. And it's doubtful any of your corals would be alive, and the fish would be getting stressed at those nitrate levels too.
yeah, but do you have any helpful advice to offer....
I don't think she wants to be told what she is already aware of, but rather some advice on how to remedy it and prevent it in the future.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
My friend told me I should take my open brain, meat coral and elegance out of the tank because they may be dying off enclosing my nitrates to spike. I do not have another tank in the a lot of money going down tubes!!! Would you recommend that? Have any dying or squirrels ever had the chance to come back and get healthier the ones that I mentioned?
I would take them back to my LFS (to hold) until you got the tank within the correct parameters.....
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
yeah, but do you have any helpful advice to offer....
I don't think she wants to be told what she is already aware of, but rather some advice on how to remedy it and prevent it in the future.

First thing I'm questionable of is the test results. So op which tests are you using? One thing I definitely would do though is clean out the canister, op has an abundance of excess nutrients, and 6 months between cleanings would lead me to believe that the canister is trapping/leaching them back into the system.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well Bleu knows how to keep a saltwater tank FOWLR. When I started adding corals I purchased a HOB MarineLand 350 $30.00 Trashed the canister! RO/DI unit 5 stage $200.00, Marinaland Reef LED 48" $300.00 for my 90G and went from 10 percent to 20 percent weekly water changes saved my flower Pot and I use Kent Reef Salts. All is well for two years!!

Tags
ate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com