Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #51
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Turn off sump and canister unless you replaced filter media and do large water change until nitrate is at acceptable level. Sump may contribute nitrate from new sand washed with tap water. Washed filters from muddy canister can contribute also.
I said basically the same thing way back in post 36
anyway I agree with jeff

Old 10-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the chance to really looked closely at the sump set up and I find it totally misconfigured. With just 2 chambers the sand and rocks should not be in there. The chamber on the right is where your skimmer should be which is feed by the overflow. The left side is just for the return pump. Not sure how you set up your canister but I would not use it anymore. May be you can use it while you are still in the process of correcting your sump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Instead of the canister, why not create a 3rd chamber on the left to serve as your fuge with sand and macro algae? I used a transparent plastic storage box that can be easily drilled for overflow that goes to the return chamber. The overflow from DT is split between the skimmer chamber and the fuge chamber making the return pump as the middle chamber.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I had the chance to really looked closely at the sump set up and I find it totally misconfigured. With just 2 chambers the sand and rocks should not be in there. The chamber on the right is where your skimmer should be which is feed by the overflow. The left side is just for the return pump. Not sure how you set up your canister but I would not use it anymore. May be you can use it while you are still in the process of correcting your sump.
Correction: Just move the return pump to the right chamber without the sand and rocks and leave the skimmer at the left where your overflow is.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Correction: Just move the return pump to the right chamber without the sand and rocks and leave the skimmer at the left where your overflow is.

Ok...I apologize, but I am processing slowly. So, my question is being that I have very limited space in this small sump, having the return pump & skimmer in the same compartment is not okay? I ask because, I don't understand how I can put the return pump in the right compartment, due to the fact there is a covering w/ the plumbing attached. Also I have a bunch of extra new biological filter media, should I place it on the right side sump compartment?
Also is you can tell me step by step, what is the best way to configure this sump set up, I would appreciate it so much!! Thank you very much for your replies & your patience with my newbieness...don't think that's an actual word Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413581702.699064.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	253253Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413581724.532478.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	253254Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413581774.542814.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	253255
My tank is plumbed in such a way, that the intake is drilled on the back of the tank... I find it very hard to keep my water levels the same. When I target feed my corals, I shut off all flow for about 20 to 30 minutes. I purchased the tank used form a lfs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see your return pump. Are you using your canister to return water from sump to display tank? Anyway, all you need to do is move the overflow hose to the left chamber where your skimmer is, while the return pump will be on the right chamber. The left chamber will now maintain a constant level when water is passing to top of right baffle plate. Your ATO level sensor will be at the right chamber. Normally the level on the right chamber should be set at half full to turn off ATO. It is to give space for water when pump is off to prevent flooding. The discharge of skimmer should be facing downward pointing to the lower outlet of baffle plate so it can flow easily to the other chamber. It makes sense to point inlet of skimmer upward to catch the water from overflow hose.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So what should I do about that square part that the hose is running into. I actually had my return pump in the same chamber as the skimmer

Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

That must be your return pump if the hose is returning water to DT. So you switch it with the overflow. Meaning move hose with pump to the right chamber then move overflow to the left chamber.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:41 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu View Post
So, my question is being that I have very limited space in this small sump, having the return pump & skimmer in the same compartment is not okay?

A 2-chamber sump is only meant for a skimmer and a return pump. They must not be on the same chamber. The skimmer must have a constant water level so it can function properly. Whereas the return pump will be in a chamber that has a variable water level. That way you can have a perfect spot for your ATO. If you have 3 chambers which is a sump/fuge, then you will have a place for LR, sand and macro algae.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A 2 chamber sump can be used as a refugium as long as you have pre filters on the intakes of the pumps. Its not ideal, but it works

Tags
ate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com