Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrate Jump

Ok, Im new here, From Australia. So hello to you all.

I have a 55g cube, 2 powerheads, about 50kg of live rock, live sand, Protein Skimmer, Lots of mushrooms, Pink/red algae growing all over the rocks and sides of glass.

Fish
2x Percula clownfish
1x Royal Dottyback
1x Copperband Butterfly
1x Coral Beauty
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Zebra Wrasse/Dottyback (Not sure of the fish, But i know its zebra something. Sorry.)
1x Firefish/Fire Gobie
About 7 Snails

Corals
3x Anemones
Multiple Mushrooms
I have more coral, I just cant think of the names atm (I'll post a pic up of the tank.)

Now, My problem is, I have a Nitrate reading of 20ppm since yesterday. All my fish are fine, Corals are fine, Tank is clear and looking good. Now i may have over fed them, Im not to sure. Every other level of Ammonia, Nitrite, ect ect is 0, And is doing fine.

I didnt have a filter running, Water changes, Live rock and sand did it. But today i brought a filter, Nothing to flash, Thought it may help.

Im not expert on marine fish, But have studied alot about it and learning as i go on.

Here is a quick snap i took of the tank (Doesnt look to good in this pic)

But hopefully someone can help me out.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, Sorry for the double post, But i feed them a variety of pellet, A very little flake food, And live brine shrimp/Frozen marine food every 2-3 days.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Welcome to AA . When did you last do a water change?
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 weeks ago, I only had a little, About 15Litres of salt water left, And did a little water change today, I was meant to do one on the weekend, but the LFS had no salt water.

Will my fish die off 20ppm? I read somewhere i think, marine is stable at 16ppm, But im not 100% sure about aquariums.

I should be doing about 3/4's close to 1/2 water change this weekend comming.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

From the pic provided, the sand bed looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a while. What and how often you feeding the anenomes? And how often you doing water changes?

Last question, for me.... how old is the tank?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feed the anenomes once-twice a week. Water changes are about every 2 weeks.

Tank has been going for about 5 years, But it had been moved about 2 months ago. (I brought it off someone)

I think it may just need a decent water change, As its about 1-2 overdue as the LFS had no salt water.

But not 100% sure.

Also, Sandbed hasnt been cleaned for a while, Should i stir it up when i do the water change so i siphon up the debree? Doesnt look like there is much, if any.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Fish will be alright. I've heard of some with nitrates that stay at 20. But yes, siphon that sandbed when you do the water change. It does look extremely cruddy. Maybe it's just the pic. Check out the Python or something similar. No Spill Clean & Fill Python Productss
JBJ Instant Siphon Gravel Cleaner at PETCO

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

Definitely do what austinsdad said, but i would advise against just stirring up the sand in to a whirlwind of detritus and decaying matter. That wouldn't be good for any of the fish or coral. You want to keep the water column as clean as possible. Not to mention that if you sweep something that is decaying in to the water column, it could go through your fish's gills, and i don't think that would be a very good thing. I did that once, being a noob and all, and a lot of sand got kicked up. My clown swam through it, and then for at least an hour he was just laying on the sandbed, gasping for air. After that he was fine, and after that i will NEVER do something like that again. It is best to just get the gravel vacuum like austinsdad said and just suck up the top layer of the sand, and anything that is accumulating in corners.

Btw, that's a really nice tank you've got there. I think you need to scrape some corraline off the glass haha. Unless you like that sort of look. :p
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha, Thanks heaps for the help guys.

Thanks for the comments, Im in the process of getting some decent powerheads that can actually stick to the side of the tank and looks a but tidy, Algae/Calcium has got to one of the powerheads suction caps and its rock hard. Lol.

With the algae, Yeah, Thinking about scrapping it off, I did a little, It was worse then that. But its good to know its healthy.

Once again, Thanks alot guys.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What type water are you using? It could be your source water adding nitrates to the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com