Nitrate level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been cycling for over a month now and I have yet to get a 0 NO3 level. NH4 and NO2 has been 0 for a couple of weeks but it seems that the NO3 won't go away. I've changed about 15 gal on my 75 gal tank but still no luck. Any ideas on why this is and what I can do about it?

TIA

You are not going to get a 0 nitrate level unless you employ a NNR technique. You are going to need alot more LR in your 75g in order to get some NO3 reducing capability. You could also research using a DSB and/or an algae scrubbing refugium W/DSB. It is not necessary to have 0 NO3 as many corals like a little in the water. Under 10 is a realistic target.

there are several things you can do to reduce nitrates. Like mentioned previously, more LR. 2 lbs per gal is great. Also, try using RO/DI water fr changes and top-offs. If you have fish, limit the feedings to light ones once every other day. Nitrates are very difficult to get to zero. Many fish and inverts can stand moderate nitrate levels.

Back
Top Bottom