Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i clean the sponges when they are dirty, which turns out to be every week or every other, should i take them off??

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

You need to do topoffs with RO/DI water as well. You will never have low Nitrates if you are adding it every day. Not only that. If your tapwater has that many nitrates, chances are you are adding substantial phosphates and/or silicates as well.

There's an even worse possibility. A lot of water companies are now using Chloramines instead of chlorine. When the chlorine is removed, that leaves you with Ammonia. Ammonia is bad for fish. If this is going on, you will also get high Nitrates as the bacteria change it to Nitrites and then Nitrates.

Sponges, if not cleaned regularly become a biofilter. They attract waste. The waste rots and breaks down into phosphates and Ammonia. Eventually, this Ammonia also turns into Nitrates.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i was told by my lfs that a hob with carbon will help, is this true???

hope dies last
Old 10-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could help some but you need to fix the problem at the source. I highly suggest a ro/di filter if you have that much nitrate in your tap water. They are less than $100 on ebay. By the time you buy a hob, carbon filters etc you are going to be half way into the price of a filter unit but will only be masking the problem. It will be a constant battle you will never win unless you stop the source. I bought my filter on ebay and it has worked great. PM me if you want me to look up who I bought it from.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are all great suggestions. One major contributor to high NO3 is over-feeding. I suggest cutting feedings back to one light feeding every two or three days. Combine this with several PWC using RO/DI and you should see some improvement. Make sure you clean the sponges in the SW you have removed from the tank during a water change. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
lando.. if you dont want your sponges becoming bio-filters couldnt you just clean them in RO/DI water to make sure they dont become bio-filters?
I would definatly use RO/DI for topoffs and waterchanges.. and cutting back on the feedings.. all in all it should get your NO3 down gradually.. instead of just big water changes with RO/DI, wich would change things too quickly..
Old 10-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
lando.. if you dont want your sponges becoming bio-filters couldnt you just clean them in RO/DI water to make sure they dont become bio-filters?
Absolutly. However, by using SW you can try to preserve some os the beneficial bacteria while rinsing away the detritus.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i got some ro water from the lfs. i will be changing every week. i had a hob laying around, so im just using that for now, until i can afford the ro/di system. i also went ahead and got some frozen food. i didnt feed yesterday or today, and am going to soak in garlic and offer it to them tomorrow. how often do i feed with that? i read somewhere that our water has been changed to the chloramines, and ever since we moved here, ive graduatlly gotten an algea problem....so that would explain that (that and the flake food). as for the top-offs, the saltinity wont be a problem if i use the ro water?? would i be better taking the sponges off, or just the cleaning them with the ro water??? thank you all soooo much for all of your help and advice (especially when i went to the lfs, i knew what i was talking about and he couldnt pull one over on me)

hope dies last
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed every other day and feed flake/pellet once a week. I am sure everyone has a different plan I just prefer to give them what they would get naturally. I soak all my feedings except flake in garlic, selcon, zoe
Old 10-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they ate it!! yay!! they seem to really like it, too thanks again for all of your help

hope dies last

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com