nitrate level through the roof!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not familiar with that particular variety of caulpera, but I think it should do ok just floating in the water. Plant it in the sand if that appeals to you. Many macroalgaes look better when planted in the sand.

It is very difficult to properly siphon sand without removing some of it. If you have lots of critters digging in your sand, let them take care of it. If you don't, then just before a water change, stir up a small portion of the sand to release the junk. The sand will settle faster than the junk, and you can siphon that out while it's still suspended in the water. Just don't do too large an area at once or you'll leave way too much icky stuff in the water.

vsnsofadrgn said:
ive just read that stiring the ls can raise the nitrates... i dont want to do that...
Certianly it will if you do it all at once. It's a now or later proposition. If you don't stir it at all, those biological wastes just build up in there, and when a rock falls, or a fish digs, a powerhead is misdirected, or whatever, it's worse than if you had taken care of it and removed the debris over time.

so which one?? the first few times, i syphoned the ls, then i read that that can raise the nitrates, so i didnt syphone the ls....... i dont want to raise them higher than they already are.. from what i get you say to do the ls a little at a time, is this correct??

IMO stirring the SB is not needed. I have not read the whole thread in a while and it is HUGH....
Keep doing the water changes with ro/di or distilled water and if you siphon just skim the surface trying not to get that much sand. If the caluerpa has a root system just place it on the bottom and it will take root.

i dont see any roots, so i jsut set it in the tank. the person i got it from said htat i could do either, set it in and it will take or put it in a crevice of the rock, either way, he/she said it would take ahold... i just want to make sure that im not messing anything up further reguarding the sandbed....its only been a day, will the caulpera have made a difference yet? my fish seem happier, moving around together more...or it could be that they got fed today, lol...

Seems a bit extreme, but would work at the primary goal.

I think if I was that despirate, I would at least run the new water in as a drip line, like the way you acclimate new fish. Once the tank water is 50% new water, the rest of the adjustment should go fairly well.

Very well then. I don't think the article mentioned that. They said they did the water changes as fast as possible.

well, i didnt like that idea, i was concerned for my fish, hence the syphoning... :D . its been a few days and all is well. my snail (the only one left) is out and about, even on the glass, the hermits are out now, too!!! YAY!!

Back
Top Bottom