Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: What could be keeping my nitrates so high?
Feeding the fish too much food. 12 80.00%
Need to vacuum under the live rock. 0 0%
Need bigger water changes, and more frequent. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrate Levels

For some reason my nitrate levels are extraordinarily high...at least I think it is. I'm somewhere in between 50 and 110 ppm. I do regular water changes (20% every month), I even went out and spent a butt load of money on a protein skimmer and a canister filter to help with the problem. I bought a pouch of bacteria that was supposed to help the levels but nothing seems to do the trick. It isn't good for my bank, I've killed off an anemone and some shrimp as well as ever snail I ever put in there. Friends have told me that I need to take my lr out and vacuum under it, other say that I need to feed less. I have been feeding on snall cube of frozen food nightly. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

30 Gallon Tank, 1 false percula, 1 banghai cardinal, 1coral beauty angel, 6 blue legged hermits, 25-30 lbs of live rock.

30 gallon tank with dual bio-wheels, live sand and crushed coral, 20 lbs of live rock. Inhabitants are two false percula clowns, one dwarf rusty angelfish, one cardinal, three snails, and nine blue legged hermits.
atwise21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
nitrate levels are extraordinarily high...at least I think it is. I'm somewhere in between 50 and 110 ppm.
Yes. It is high.

One cube seems a lot to feed for just 3 fish. I think it's the feeding and the crushed coral.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I do a 10% change every week. I have a 32 gallon hex.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

to much food.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
I'm going with a combination, you should be doing a 5-10% water change every week (from what I have read and am doing) and feed a little less.
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Feeding too much, combined with crushed coral substrate, and not frequent enough water changes.
Yes, some people only do a 10% water change every 6 months. However, from the looks of things, your tank doesn't fall into that category.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too much food (1/2 cube every other day for those 3 fish should be fine plus whatever grazing materials the angel needs--do they eat nori? Are you adding angel food to the rotation?), too few water changes (20% every 2 weeks), not enough live rock (1.5 - 2 #/g), dirty crushed coral... Sounds like you have a combination of factors attributing to your nitrates. Also adding a fuge or Macro algaes to your main should help to reduce your nitrates.

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have been feeding on snall cube of frozen food nightly.
this may be your problem. What type of froozen food are you feeding and hw are you preparing it? Froozen food should be thawed out and then rinsed in RO/DI water prior to putting it in the tank. the "juice" it produceds when thawed can foul up a tank in no time. One cube in a 30 gal every day is a lot of food. I would cut back to 1/2 cube every other day and do more frequent water changes (10%/week) to see it that helps. I do not believe you are over-stocked. You could certainly add another 30lbs of LR to help with the NO3 and I would also consider ditching the bio-wheels on your filter as they can contribute to the NO3 problem.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Consider how many fish I have in my tank. 10 (down to 9 now).

I feed one cube every two days. Every third rotation I use an Angel cube (has krill and other goodies).

I think I'm feeding too often and my nitrates are nearly 0.
My nitrites are near 20 tho...

Try also melting the cube in a glass of your tanks water, straining it through a net (the green aquarium nets are fine enough), and tossing the food then. This helps remove the stabilizing liquid that they package the food in. Dispose of the glass of water.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Schoeplein,

your nitrItes are 20ppm? That's deadly to fish. Please say that's a typo. 8O

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com