Nitrate levels through the roof!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really considering a larger tank right now. I'm engaged and am going to be moving in a about 2 years. How does one go about moving 72 gallon aquarium from one house to another?

If I go with a 72 gallon, is there some one thats been reading that can list the steps involved with setting up and cycling for me and the materials such as filters, pumps, sand type, etc. so I can do it right this time. I'm thinking a sump but already have a hang on protein skimmer rated for 75 gallons. Its not that old and I like it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for everything so far.

Go to the article section of this page and read about cycling a tank.

Moving a tank is a task. Especially if it has been up and running for a couple of years and has corals gowing in it. It can be done as long as you take your time and do everything one step at a time.

Go with a sump! You will be glad that you did. I have a 72g Bow (I'm guessing that is what you are looking at) and I love it. I have a total water volume of 120gal with my sumps and main display combined.

Ok first, thanks to everyone who has posted! I greatly appreciate the share of your knowledge.

I have located a tank. 75 gal Oceanic tank with Oceanic trickle filter model 75. I read the article about cycling the tank in the articles section. Should I be cycling the tank with LR of wait until after the tank has cycled to add LR.

Cured or Uncured?

Uncured will start the cycle a/o prolong it if you already started it. Cured may shorten the cycle somewhat as it already has dentrifying bacteria throughout.

Well I have the opportunity to get nearly 60lbs of LR for $200. The guy has taken it out of his aquarium and has it in a Tupperware container with water. I'm assuming that it has a lot of die off. What do you guys think? I also have the opportunity to purchase some base rock as well.

Is the rock heated and have a poer head running for circulation?
How long has it been out of the tank? If more than a few days, then it should also have been fed a bit of flake to maintain the baccteria population.
If so then there is very little die off and could be considered cured LR.

If it's just sitting in a tub of room temperature water with no cirulation then there will be die off.

$200 for 60 pounds does not like a great deal.

SW - Fiji Standard Live Rock – 45 lb. Box $ 89.99 + shipping

DG-80243 SW - Caribbean Live Rock (60 lb. Box) $ 135.00 + shipping

Fiji Premium Quality Un-Cured Live Rock r-fp-44Regular: $199.00S ale: $159.95 + $35 S&H

Dont forget to test the water that you are putting in the tank. You may have nitrates in the water you are adding to the tank. I had a similar problem with nitrates. I could never get it to zero. I took all the crushed coral out, replaced it with aragamax. I also had to purchase a ro/di setup to purify my tap water. Since these changes, I have had zero nitrates for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom