Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A clean up crew, snails hermits etc?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, is that going to be the hippo tang's permanent home? Because they get big...

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTJOHN View Post
I have crushed coral for my sub. thinking of switching to all sand. would this help.?
In one word....YES. I like the look of crushed coral too but it forms pockets that trap uneaten food and other stuff. I had pretty much the same setup for my first tank but changed to sand before i even put one fish in.

I would sugget changing the substrate but be careful. You are going to stir up all the stuff in the crushed coral which might cause a mini cycle. I would get as much of the coral out as I could and then do a 50% water change. Be ready to do a HEAVY water change for the next couple of days. Don't worry about getting it all out, just most of it. The rest will work its way to the top eventually. I would also dose with something like microbactr 7 from brightwell aquatics for a week or so.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

plan on getting a 90gal tank with in the next 6 months.. thats for the advice. I see the food fall in the cracks. the hermit crabs get most but prob. not all.
I'm gonna start taking a little crushed coral out at a time. then add a little sand. i think doing it in sections is my best bet. will check out that microbactr 7 also..
This was my first post on this site, and ya'll have been help full. thanks
John
Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTJOHN View Post
plan on getting a 90gal tank with in the next 6 months.. thats for the advice. I see the food fall in the cracks. the hermit crabs get most but prob. not all.
I'm gonna start taking a little crushed coral out at a time. then add a little sand. i think doing it in sections is my best bet. will check out that microbactr 7 also..
This was my first post on this site, and ya'll have been help full. thanks
John
Good plan. I see you have the fever. I started with a 55 for about a year b4 i got my 120 I saw a 240 I really wanted but I have decided to wait. I will be turning my garage into a home theater and have a built it 500 planned...I guess after that I will have to add a salt water lagoon out back

Tags
level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com