Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Question Nitrate observations and input please

I have some questions regarding my nitrate levels in my 55g reef. I've had it up since earlier this year so it's not very mature yet. I have been getting readings of trates at 2.5 every single time I test for the last couple months.

I understand this is a good thing pretty much but I can't understand the how. I now have 17 corals and as for fish I have 4 clowns, lawnmower blenny, spotted watchman, gramma, sea hare, 4 peppemints, a pistol shrimp and an extremely large population of hermits and snails. I mean like 100 of them total. I also feed at least 2 times a day sometimes three.

How is it possible to have such low nitrates in my case? My other tanks run much higher than that with much less bioload and feeding.

I know this might seem like a silly question to some people but it has been on my mind for the last month.

Any input? And while I'm at it what do you think it will take to get to 0? I used to do a weekly pwc of 10g but I've switched to bi weekly 10g changes and still the same results.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was also wondering how you got your nitrates so low. Will be following to know more

Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do wanna add that I dosed my tank in the beginning of march and april with instant ocean nitrate remover. I KNOW it shouldn't be working but I had a bottle and tried it.

Anyone think that product actually did it? I haven't put any in since earlier this month. As a test i added some to my cichlid tank today to see if it helps in there. Bottle says it could take 72 hours for results.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

You probably have a lot of good nitrifying bacteria in that system. Typically it takes awhile to have a lot of the good bacteria in there doing its job and keeping the nitrates down. That is why you will hear people talking about a "mature" tank.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You would probably be at 0 if you fed every other day or at the most once a day. IMO you are feeding too much.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
You would probably be at 0 if you fed every other day or at the most once a day. IMO you are feeding too much.
I agree that is a lot of feeding. I was feeding once a day and have switched to every other day.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I like fat healthy fish and if you can swing it with Nitrates of 2.5ppm, that is very good. Especially if you are keeping sps corals. With Nitrates at 0 and not a lot of feeding, the colors will become pale. On the other end of the spectrum if you overfeed and nitrates go above 10, then your sps corals will typically brown out.
I feed 1-2 times per day. I would probably do only once a day if I didn't have Anthias.
It is all relative to your bio load, protein skimmer, maintenance regimen, etc etc etc
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i feed every other day and do weekly water changes and my nitrates always read 0
Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks guys, was just wondering if it was the additive or just me. I pull some serious gunk outta my skimmer every other day. I think I will drop to once a day feeding. i will try though. My clowns always look hungry and it takes patience to get my goby to catch food. lol

I don't consider my tank mature by any stretch, the 55g has only been up 2 months or so adn the 29g was up a month or two before that.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com