Nitrate observations and input please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some questions regarding my nitrate levels in my 55g reef. I've had it up since earlier this year so it's not very mature yet. I have been getting readings of trates at 2.5 every single time I test for the last couple months.

I understand this is a good thing pretty much but I can't understand the how. I now have 17 corals and as for fish I have 4 clowns, lawnmower blenny, spotted watchman, gramma, sea hare, 4 peppemints, a pistol shrimp and an extremely large population of hermits and snails. I mean like 100 of them total. I also feed at least 2 times a day sometimes three.

How is it possible to have such low nitrates in my case? My other tanks run much higher than that with much less bioload and feeding.

I know this might seem like a silly question to some people but it has been on my mind for the last month.

Any input? And while I'm at it what do you think it will take to get to 0? I used to do a weekly pwc of 10g but I've switched to bi weekly 10g changes and still the same results.

I do wanna add that I dosed my tank in the beginning of march and april with instant ocean nitrate remover. I KNOW it shouldn't be working but I had a bottle and tried it.

Anyone think that product actually did it? I haven't put any in since earlier this month. As a test i added some to my cichlid tank today to see if it helps in there. Bottle says it could take 72 hours for results.

You probably have a lot of good nitrifying bacteria in that system. Typically it takes awhile to have a lot of the good bacteria in there doing its job and keeping the nitrates down. That is why you will hear people talking about a "mature" tank.

You would probably be at 0 if you fed every other day or at the most once a day. IMO you are feeding too much.

melosu58 said:
You would probably be at 0 if you fed every other day or at the most once a day. IMO you are feeding too much.

I agree that is a lot of feeding. I was feeding once a day and have switched to every other day.

I like fat healthy fish and if you can swing it with Nitrates of 2.5ppm, that is very good. Especially if you are keeping sps corals. With Nitrates at 0 and not a lot of feeding, the colors will become pale. On the other end of the spectrum if you overfeed and nitrates go above 10, then your sps corals will typically brown out.
I feed 1-2 times per day. I would probably do only once a day if I didn't have Anthias.
It is all relative to your bio load, protein skimmer, maintenance regimen, etc etc etc

i feed every other day and do weekly water changes and my nitrates always read 0

Thanks guys, was just wondering if it was the additive or just me. I pull some serious gunk outta my skimmer every other day. I think I will drop to once a day feeding. i will try though. My clowns always look hungry and it takes patience to get my goby to catch food. lol

I don't consider my tank mature by any stretch, the 55g has only been up 2 months or so adn the 29g was up a month or two before that.

Back
Top Bottom