Nitrate/Phosphate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, all you experts out there, got a little question for you. I test my reef water 2X a week and consistantly get 80ppm for nitrates and .25ppm for phosphates. It is exactly the same week after week. I have tried reducing feedings, larger water changes, and I even put nitrate and phosphate reducing pads in an extra HOB and hooked it up. I have an HOB reef octopus skimmer on the way (will be here Friday), the main filtration is an AC70 filled with lr rubble, I also have the aforementioned filter, and the 240 gph Korrallia powerhead. The tank is 30 gal and the only other equipment I have is a heater and my lighting. Ok, so the question is, could I have partially faulty API kits? My corals, mostly softies, are flourishing and multiplying, but even my lps are thriving. My duncan has even started a new head, and of course the frogspawn just recovered from the urchin accident (see my previous post), so I am perplexed. Everything I read says my corals should be dying, not thriving.

I'm vexed. That level of nitrate should be deadly. I hate to say it but you might be best served by getting another test kit.

As far as the phosphates, are you using tap water or ro/di water?

The api test could be old they don't have any dates on them and you have no idea how long that has been on the shelf. at 80 ppm i was losing fish so i cant see the coral be able to survive i would say try another test.

@carey the last month and a half the water changes have been with ro/di, but I initially started with tap.

The phosphates from any tap water use can linger for months. I'm still battling it after using it over 3 months ago. Just keep up the pwc's and the phosphates should lower in time.

i also would suggest getting another opinion on the nitrate level. Maybe a lfs can do it and if its your kit you can then buy another one

Ditto. You could be dealing with the leftovers from the tap water.

Test the water you are using for water changes. Test your tank before and after a water change.

Read the instructions again and follow them to the letter. The nitrate test kit is probably the most complicated of API's kits.

Re-examine your stocking and feeding. This is the other input of nitrate.

What type of substrate are u using? Do u have crushed coral as substrate? Larger pieces of gravel allow space for left over food to accumulate nitrates. What does your clean up crew consist of? Cleaner hermit crabs help clean the bottom of the tank.

how large a water change are you doing and how often? I have phophates about that level and nitrates at 160ppm at one time took a few months of doing 50% water changes twice a week to get them down not Phosphates are 0 and nitrates are 2-5ppm. I would try a salifert test kit I used API once and just couldnt trust them for some reason

Been doing 20% changes. CUC consists of 7-10 blue legged hermits, 5 nassarius snails, 5 nerites, a lot of fl ceriths, a bunch of brittle stars, and 2 huge bristle worms. Gonna take a sample to LFS this am and see what a salifert test gives for a reading. Like I said originally, everything is thriving, corals are multiplying, and there is very little algae growth (just one small spot has red algae about 2 inches in diameter).

make sure you are not leaving the test sit longer that it says the longer it sits the darker it will get, just a thought

Don't take this the wrong way ,..but on the api liquid test kit,...make sure you shake up bottle #2 very,very,very well before you do your testing.....apparently the liquid in that bottle must be like oil and vinegar and needs a vigorous shaking to stabilize itself before testing.

Will try shaking it more next time. I had to be doing something wrong with it, because I tried with the nitrate bottles that came with the reef master kit and got the same reading. LFS used a salifert kit and got little over 20 ppm, which is a lot better. Not quite where I want to be, but did a 30% PWC, and the skimmer will be here Friday.

Back
Top Bottom