Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrate/Phosphate Question

Ok, all you experts out there, got a little question for you. I test my reef water 2X a week and consistantly get 80ppm for nitrates and .25ppm for phosphates. It is exactly the same week after week. I have tried reducing feedings, larger water changes, and I even put nitrate and phosphate reducing pads in an extra HOB and hooked it up. I have an HOB reef octopus skimmer on the way (will be here Friday), the main filtration is an AC70 filled with lr rubble, I also have the aforementioned filter, and the 240 gph Korrallia powerhead. The tank is 30 gal and the only other equipment I have is a heater and my lighting. Ok, so the question is, could I have partially faulty API kits? My corals, mostly softies, are flourishing and multiplying, but even my lps are thriving. My duncan has even started a new head, and of course the frogspawn just recovered from the urchin accident (see my previous post), so I am perplexed. Everything I read says my corals should be dying, not thriving.

redfisher1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you using test strips or liquid kits?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

API liquid
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm vexed. That level of nitrate should be deadly. I hate to say it but you might be best served by getting another test kit.

As far as the phosphates, are you using tap water or ro/di water?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Take a sample to your lfs an have them check it never know...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

The api test could be old they don't have any dates on them and you have no idea how long that has been on the shelf. at 80 ppm i was losing fish so i cant see the coral be able to survive i would say try another test.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

@carey the last month and a half the water changes have been with ro/di, but I initially started with tap.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The phosphates from any tap water use can linger for months. I'm still battling it after using it over 3 months ago. Just keep up the pwc's and the phosphates should lower in time.

i also would suggest getting another opinion on the nitrate level. Maybe a lfs can do it and if its your kit you can then buy another one
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #9

Ditto. You could be dealing with the leftovers from the tap water.

Test the water you are using for water changes. Test your tank before and after a water change.

Read the instructions again and follow them to the letter. The nitrate test kit is probably the most complicated of API's kits.

Re-examine your stocking and feeding. This is the other input of nitrate.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What type of substrate are u using? Do u have crushed coral as substrate? Larger pieces of gravel allow space for left over food to accumulate nitrates. What does your clean up crew consist of? Cleaner hermit crabs help clean the bottom of the tank.

Tags
nitrate, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com