Nitrate Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I haven't tested the water in a while because I never had this issue. But did a water change yesterday and the Nitrate was at about 30 (ADP test).
I'm going to do another water change tomorrow morning.
I have a wet and dry filter, and i've heard that they are nitrate factories. On top of the bioballs i have an extra sponge and bio pack for a hand-on-back Aqua-clear filter (for emergency quarantine tank purposes) in the wet and dry.

I just got two mandarines that i have been trying to get to eat consistently and i have been feeding pemysis shrimp with garlic about 2 times per day along with pellets.

I've heard that replacing the bioballs with live rock rubble is better and that i should do it little by little.
My questions are, should i remove the extra sponge and bio pack?
If i remove the bioballs do i really need to replace them with live rock since i have about 90 pounds of live rock in the main display.

I have 90 gallon tank that has been stablished for over a year and a half. Corals are opening up normally i would say and the fish seem fine.
The one thing that i just remember is that i do have the remora protein skimmer off because it slightly overflooded the gallon of milk container that i have collecting the dirt (about 3 weeks ago), and i haven't connected it because i've been putting off because i want to give it a good cleaning, which i will do today.

I would ditch the wet dry and get a sump and a good skimmer. The mandarines nned pods living in and on your rocks to survive. They may take foods from you from time to time but if you don't have pods they will probably not make it.

Back
Top Bottom