Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #11

Yea CC is a problem. Also that tank is way over stocked IMO the blue tang needs a large 6' tank, and NO anemone should be kept with a nitrate problem. Please return it ASAP.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

nitrate problem

tap water test shows 0 nitrate. last water change was 4 days ago. got 6 little crabs on cleanup duty at the moment. spoke to the lfs i got the substrate from and the said it is crushed shells if that makes any difference. sorry about the mix up. in reply to six-line as i said in earlier post i will be upgrading to a much larger tank asap. cant really return anemone but its fine at the moment and im hoping to fix the problem before anything goes wrong.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the substrate is any bigger than sand sized, its a detritus trap. It's not what its made of that causes the problem, its the big gaps that uneaten food/fish waste can fall into and not be filtered out of. With a water change 4 days ago and a skimmer running full time, you really shouldn't have nitrates that high unless you have been seriously overfeeding. As a short term, vacuum your CC real good and do another water change, and slow down on your feeding. Speaking of, how much, how often, and what are you feeding?

Long term, (again) dump the UG, change your substrate, and ditch the canister filter unless you are going to be real commited to cleaning it real often. I know it sucks to quit using equip. you paid for, but lots of us have been there. I started with a W/D and CC and had nitrate problems I couldn't solve (thanks LFS!). With DSB my 'trates stay below 20. Wish I had started with it, would have saved a lot of money and effort.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #14

nitrate problem

thanks for the advice and i guess ive had the same problem(thanks LFS!) i feed them either brine shrimp, blood worms an nori usually 1 block once a day. is that to much? already removed u/g. now ill do a vaccum, water change and clean filter. whats a good filter?
Old 06-02-2004, 06:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's no need to dump the cannister, just everything inside it. Even if you run it empty you're at least adding some extra flow and volume. They're also useful when you want to use carbon or rowaphos or whatever.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I should have been more specific, dump the filter part out of the canister, but use it for water flow as atari said. As for filters, I recommend DSB with a 'fuge as my personal preferance.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #17

nitrate problem

good idea but i dont know much about refugiums. whats the best way to set one up?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am a novice with a 92 gal tank for 6 months and I have been getting steadily higher nitrate levels over the last four months. It was 20 in Feb and is up to about 40 now.

I have 81 lb live rock and an Amiracle sump with bio balls, a pre-filter sock and a protein skimmer. My substrate is aragonite.

I do 15% water changes about every 4 weeks and use tap water.
When I started the nitrate level was 10-15, so I suppose some could be from the tap water. I also have an ornamental ship designed for saltwater.

Any thoughts? I have not cleaned the substrate because I haven't found a good vacuum that works in saltwater yet.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is my understanding that you shouldn't stirr your sand. get some certh or narsarius snails to do it for you. There are some fish that stir the sand looking for food as well.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jimmy, scan the posts over the last few days. 'Fuges are regularly posted on, and I know there has been a couple discussions in the last day or so.

Ssgamab, any filter media style filter has the same problems regardless of which type of media is being used. They need to be cleaned out regularly.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com