Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gza166

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been doing two 5g water changes for two weeks now and I can't drop my nitrate levels, Between 30-40. Is there anything else I could try

I've been doing two 5g water changes for two weeks now and I can't drop my nitrate levels, Between 30-40. Is there anything else I could try

What size tank? What's the stock? How often are you feeding? When you say 2 weeks do you mean everyday for 2 weeks and they won't drop?

It's a 40g, usually do a water changes on tues and sat. Stock- clarkii clown, sleep gold head goby, firefish and cleanup crew. I use an API water test kit

Water changes won't control nitrates. If you take out 25% of the water, you take out ONLY 25% of the nitrates. The rest build up for your next water change. Reducing feeding won't fix the problem either. That will simply lower slightly the total nitrates.
You need something to REMOVE all your nitrates. Chaeto or filter media.

Also feed them once a day a small amount of flakes

Read the API directions for testing nitrates the dividing by 4.4 should be in there. Marco algae is best if you can't check out some purigen or the like.

Tank is a little over a year old. I mix my own saltwater so before I did a water change I tested the new water and nitrates were at 0

So feed every other day? And my cuc I sometimes can't help that my crabs will kill my snaisl and not see it

@bavass Im just using an hob skimmer. Also I wasn't saying that my cuc will lower my nitrates I was asking if when they die will they raise my nitrate levels

Back
Top Bottom