Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

75Gal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How can I reduce Nitrate in my 75 gallon salt water fish only tank? It is currently at 40ppm and I don't want it to go any higer than this?

I agree that PWC`s will definitely help. Feeding every other day will help also.

PWC are always the most solid choice. You can also try growing some cheato in your sump, or if you dont have that option finding a nicer looking macro you can plant in your tank.

When you go to do that PWC you need to do a pretty substantial one. I would say at least 25% or more to really have an impact. If you can siphon some (if any is there) of the detritus out of your tank as well as out of your sump. IF you have sponge prefilters make sure to clean them out as well. Any area of your filtration that can collect detritus needs to be cleaned out. Doing all this will help reduce your nitrates.

Describe your tank. What's in it? Rock, substrate, skimmer? Fish population, feeding methods. 40 is way to high. Shoot for 20 ppm or less. Less is even better.

Back
Top Bottom