Nitrate removing products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do these products work effectively? I've seen a few at work such as de-nitrate by seachem but thought I'd ask before buying one. Can't seem to get my nitrates down in my 72g fo tank despite going bare bottom. I know the bio-balls don't help but more LR is out of the question right now.

more frequent water changes would be a good thing to try. I know in the past, I was never happy with any of the results from the de nitrating products out there.

If you buy a Nitrate Filter they work I have a Nature Reef CDEX-3 Filter that keeps my Phosphate & Nitrates 0 . I hardly do water changes, yes tha machine cost $600 Dollars, but its worth it when you don't have to clean the tank as often. I clean 20% of my water Bi-Monthly and still stay at 0.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
If you buy a Nitrate Filter they work I have a Nature Reef CDEX-3 Filter that keeps my Phosphate & Nitrates 0 . I hardly do water changes, yes tha machine cost $600 Dollars, but its worth it when you don't have to clean the tank as often. I clean 20% of my water Bi-Monthly and still stay at 0.

Just to clarify things, water changes do more than just take nitrates out of the water, they also replace minerals and nutrients that have been used up in the tank and just all around freshen up the tank. By not doing water changes, you would then need to be adding purchased tank additives and be testing/adding things on a regular basis. Water changes are the least expensive and best for the tank, of those options.

Just to clarify things, water changes do more than just take nitrates out of the water, they also replace minerals and nutrients that have been used up in the tank and just all around freshen up the tank. By not doing water changes, you would then need to be adding purchased tank additives and be testing/adding things on a regular basis. Water changes are the least expensive and best for the tank, of those options.[/quote]

That's not true for Saltwater, it's cheaper not doing water changes as lon gas your water parameters are safe since you are looking for stability.

You can't go forever without a water change Fishboy. Plus water changes remove DOC's and inorganic buildups from the water, which is part of what keeps it 'fresh'.

I agree with Hara that water changes are by far the cheapest way to replenish elements. Simply having "safe" parameters is not good enough to maintain a healthy tank, you need to replace elements in some form or another.

I am not disagreeing wiht any of you, but I only do a 20% Water change monthly eventhough my Nitrates are at 0PPM. Weekly, I add trace elements.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
I am not disagreeing wiht any of you, but I only do a 20% Water change monthly eventhough my Nitrates are at 0PPM. Weekly, I add trace elements.

no, you did directly disagree with me, and I stand by what I said. You should want more for your fish and inverts than just toxin free water and they get it through water changes.

Fishboy, you've said you do 20% bi-monthly and then monthly in the same thread.. which one is it? :lol:

we had that problem about 3 months ago our phosphate level was .3ppm we bought phosban by two little fishies it cost us 27 bucks but after a month our level was back down to .02ppm. We ran it in our magnum pump that normally contains carbon it comes with a mircon sock that you put this brown resin type stuff in and place in a water flow area. We could see a diference in our corals opening fully after a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom