Nitrate Spike after i added a Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TransferOfRisk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
everything seemed great in my reef tank and tuesday i added a protein skimmer.. reed octopus... nitrate then was less then 5ppm and no signs of amonia or nitrite... ph was @ 8.4

today i go and check my tank after cleaning out the skimmer for the 3rd time (very little amounts maybe a quater of a cup a day) and my Nitrate spiked to between 40ppm and 80ppm..

the tank has been set up for about 8 months .. it has a 2 inch crushed coral sand bed.. about 250-300lbs of live rock... corals(mainly soft)... and about 3 fish.. power tang.. sail fin and a damsile...

not sure what is causing this.. however i do have a wet dry.. and was told to remove the filter pads from the 2 boxes.. im thinking about replacing those as of right now to see if that helps..

what could be causing this

update

i have started doing a water change25 gallons.. im also making more RO water.. i also have cleaned the filter pads... and added a carbon pouch.. waiting a few hours before i do a water test.. before i started the water change i was starting to see a greenish tint in the water... all fish are accounted for and none of the corals seem to be affected so far..

Back
Top Bottom