Nitrate spike-should I run carbon & zeolite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
We’ve had lots of activity in our tank lately (in a good way), but the changes have resulted in a nitrate spike. I’ve done a 30% water change followed by a 10%, but they just are not down where I want them. I’m prepping a 15% change for tomorrow as well. I’ve been looking at methods to get the spike down quickly and picked up activated carbon pellets & zeolite mix and a filter sock. I know better than to ask the employees at a chain store if this is right for my tank. I’m thinking just for short term. I don’t know enough about zeolite to know if I made a good choice.

I have a 75 gal with 85# live rock, cuc, sump with a 125 protein skimmer, and of course stock. (Skimmer air intake was clogged and now catching up).

Anyone willing to share their wisdom?

I always tried to keep calerpa in my tank. Whether it was in the tank, sump or overflow it would do wonders in keeping nitrates down. Your waterchanges and carbon are short term.

remember if you do a 50% water you can drop your nitrates by 1/2 .
macro's can help but it also depends on where you use it , I love macro's in the tank but it's almost impossible to keep the fish from eating it as they love that stuff,
sump is a good option as long as you have a good lighting schedule and can keep it tumbling .

This sounds good to me. I may have to have the LFS order some. We are really limited where I live. I got my nitrates down today and got my skimmer bubbling like soap suds. Hopefully it will get back on track. I am excited to learn about macroalgae.:D

I like the turf scrubbers over refugiums. It provides more control with the growth being on the scrub board and is really easy to diy. Might be something to think about.

A great day on the reef! I got my nitrates down to between 5-10 and that’s a week after my last water change. The skimmer hack has worked wonders. I watched several videos on tuning up a skimmer, but accidentally broke the air intake while trying to remove clogged tubing. While I was waiting for the replacement part, I hooked an air pump up to my skimmer in the exact intake spot and it is foaming like a rabid dog! Better than ever. I bought a light for my sump and ordered the Cheato.

I do not have chambers in my sump yet. Any suggestions to controlling the cheato and keeping it from my equipment in there? Should I look for some egg crate to “fence it in”?

C

I use egg crate ,and craft fabric in my sump.
My cheato stays put in a corner on top of a large pile of rock.A lot of water flows through it. It should not get out of egg crate . Water flows right through it nicely.

I’m pretty sure our LFS does not have egg crate. Any suggestions online? How do you keep the egg crate in place?

Home Depot or Lowe’s has egg crate light diffuser. Your lfs won’t sell it.

You should be able to get egg crate at Home depot or lowes in the lighting section. They call it diffuser..
I zip tie my egg crate if I can or use a large piece of live rock to hold in place !
You could make a 5 sided cube that was open on top for the cheato and place it in flow...

Back
Top Bottom