Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
nitrate update

I have lowered my nitrates down to 5ppm (approx). I was trying to hold of on new purchases until I was sure it was low enough for everything to thrive.

Is this low enough for most corals or should I keep going lower?

I'm sure I can add some coral with this but would prefer to hold off if it will act as an irritant to any of them.

Thanks in advance.

DeNero1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
in my opinion it can stand to get even lower if possible, but it should not be enough to really kill anything if all of your corals you will be getting are hardy ones.

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
5 ppm is fine for most soft corals. It sounds like you have just lowered them, how high were they and what did you do to correct the problem. The key is to keep them low and provide a stable environment.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mine are handling 5 ok. At 20 some were still ok but I had a couple that were melting down. I just started my fuge up so I'm hoping to be able to maintain my 5 or lower with the new macro I've got growing.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
I only have 5 fish (3 clowns and 2 damsels) in my 125g.
I had originally went w/ a fish only tank and the nitrates at one time were above 80ppm. Removed the bio balls, swapped the cc for a 3-4" sandbed, upgraded the lights for the fuge, added more macro algae, added 130lbs more lr and lowered the amount of feedings.

I'm sure I could have done more water changes to get the nitrates lower faster but I figured this is a more long term fix. Plus, I wanted to grow a couple macros in the main tank as well.

I was gonna get more corals yesterday but the two places I went had nothing that caught my eye. So I guess I'll be waiting anyways.
DeNero1331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com