Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to eventually get corals but my nitrates are at around 15. I know they should be lower for corals. Any ideas to get them down? I have a 14g tank with 15 lbs live rock and two small clowns. Im using stock filtration on a 14g biocube. Tank has been up for about 3 months.

How often do you do PWC's and how much? IMO, PWC are very important. It shouldn't be very hard to get the nitrates down with PWC on a regular schedule but it will take some time though.

Just do ~2.8g every three or four days and you should be able to reduce your nitrates to a good level.At that rate you should be able to reduce your nitrates by 3ppm's per water change. Try reducing your feeding of your animals also. Like every other day or so. Oh and only one feeding per day.

What is stock filtration??? Are there any bioballs, ceramic cylinders, foam sponges etc in there??? Those will cause Nitrates to rise. Make certain to change those out very often. Change them way before the overflow. With that size tank a couple temp/salinity matched water changes and you can have the Nitrates down real fast. 15ppm-Nitrate is actually acceptable for most coral. Just strive to be as close to 0 as possible.

Ok. I will try that. For PWC once levels are down again, how often and how much do you suggest for a regualr schedule?

I do a 10%-15% water change every week. But you can do 20% or so every other week. You could even go as long as a month with a 30-40% water change. Its up to you, but with that small of a tank doing smaller weekly changes should be easy enough.

Stock filtration is a filter pad then bioball trickle filter. I have heard that this can cause nitrates but i never have heard a clear replacement to it. Ideas?

Stock filtration is a filter pad then bioball trickle filter. I have heard that this can cause nitrates but i never have heard a clear replacement to it. Ideas?
Yes, remove the bio-balls slowly and replace them with LR rubble. After that remove the sponge.

Ok. I will try that. For PWC once levels are down again, how often and how much do you suggest for a regualr schedule?
I do a 20% PWC every two weeks. If your load is heavy then 20% every week.

With the rubble rock you won't need the stock cartridge and that way your filter won't clog up.

You don't need carbon all the time. That's a good point and you could use it for carbon one week a month. IMO carbon is only good for about 5-7 days of use then it needs to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom