Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
The only bad thing is when you clean the foam you will kill the bacteria in the foam.
Not if you wash it out in SW. Do a PWC and save the water you took out and wash the foam in that water and then discard. If you wash in FW you`ll kill off the nitrifying bacteria but not SW.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also get hang on back sumps if you don't have the space,sumps are also used to enlarge the volume of salt water in your system which also helps you control all the parameters a lot easier and more forgiven if you have a problem,but first i would invest in some Live Rock for your DT then maybe a hob sump.just keep asking the questions and you'll get plenty of answers on this site.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was thinking that most people sqeeze the daylights out of the foam and it would expell a great deal of the bacteria(even if washed in water taken from the tank). Is there any credibility whatsoever to that logic or am I dead wrong? And the hob sump would accomplish the same as what I showed you in the pictures.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Bacteria coat a surface. The filter material is very porous and most of the bacteria live within the filter material, not on the outside detritus. Rinsing in sw will only eliminate a small portion of the bacteria.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
The thing you really want to watch out for in the canister filters is not the filter media but the sponges they put in them. They trap food and waste that then breaks down very quickly and puts nitrates back into the system. I would take the sponges out and just run them periodicly for a day or two at a time as you feel is required. If you would like to keep them make sure you clean them out often to help avoid this. At least once a week, more if you can.

Also, if you have between 1-1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon then you don't need the bio balls since you already will have enough surface area from the live rock to provide space for the beneficial bacteria. Make sure you give your bio balls an ocasional cleaning as well if you would like to keep them. They tend to trap all sorts of nasty things as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can a system be ran with only live, rock live sand and power heads?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, though a quality skimmer will help too. And yes, you still need to do regular PWC's
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomisboy View Post
Can a system be ran with only live, rock live sand and power heads?
I have had a 29 gallon for almost a year now, and I have been running without any filter system except for a protein skimmer. I do bi-weekly water changes with 15% volume. I also have roughly 40 lbs of live rock along with 2 bags of live sand.

I also have to agree with the comments on having foam, since they can trap things. I have a small foam piece on the outlet of my skimmer and have to clean it out every week. It gets pretty loaded.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com