Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky77

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys my freind has a 30 gallon fish only thank he is finding it hard to keep the nitrates down even though he doe a pwc weekly he has 1 yellow tang 1 regal tang and 4 blue chromas he has only 2 small powerheads they are moveing about 1250 litres per hour and he is running a canister filter with algone nitrate remover but still strugling to keep it downeven with no lr in the tank. I tested it myself ttoday all levels ok except the nitrates would more flow reduce nitrates any ideas peaple thanks ......?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

2 tangs in a 30 gallon is the reason. those fish do not belong in such a small tank. your friend is sentencing them to early deaths,keeping them in there.

If you read my thread theres only two tangs in it it's a 4 foot long tank plenty of room for them i have seen videos on you tube of peaple with tangs in a lot smaller tanks .....?

they do not make a 30 gallon thats 4 ft long to my knowledge and secondly just because its 4 ft long does not mean theres enough space. personally im hesitant with my brown tang in my 5 Ft 120 gallon nevermind a larger regal tang or even the smaller yellow tang in a tank 1/4 the size. you need to understand linear feet is only half the battle with tangs. they are still a large body fish and produce a lot of waste. tell your friend he needs to get both those tangs out of there before he kills them both.

To answer your question you will not get the nitrates under control with 2 tangs in less than 100 gallons of water. unless you like doing 20 % PWC every other day

It's a clearseal tank dont know if you can buy them over in the states it's about 170 plus litres would he b able to keep one tang ok and if so which one would you recomend the regal or the yellow the last thing he wanta is to do is kill them what do you think ...?

simply put. no a tang can not live out its life in a tank that size. now if the tank is infact 4 ft long . he may keep maybe a young kole or yellow tang for a short term .. im talking untill it gets 4-5 inchs or so after that he would need to move it into a large tank . i might even get lynched by the tang police for saying that haha.

lol..yep.. i don't think any tang will make 4" in a 30 gallon aquarium, even if it's a 10 foot, 30 gallon aquarium!

Cheers thanks for the advice ...

If you read my thread theres only two tangs in it it's a 4 foot long tank plenty of room for them i have seen videos on you tube of peaple with tangs in a lot smaller tanks .....?

Just because you see it in video`s does not mean anything. They could have just been put in that tank. Check back with them in several months and see if they are still there in a tank that size. Probably not but if they are I`ll bet they are suffering from HLLE or other ailments. Not very ethical fish treatment if you ask me. BTW I know this is hard to believe but I dont believe everything I see on You tube.

Very funny mate .....

Shut my mouth about what my freind ......?

Got it freind my mistake sorry .....

Back
Top Bottom