Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

have two plants that are in sump not sure of the names though.I am taking my hammer and tourch in to the marine shop to see if they improve there for a week.the aponge we replaced last week and rinse out about twice a week. sont have bio balls , different marine supplier uses hair curlers in his tank and adviced we do same.as they do the same as bio balls a a fraction of the price. nitrate reads at 50 currently

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bio balls hold the nitrates I'm cycleing and mine are extremely high but that's what the macro in the fuge survives on it eats it and releases oxygen and other important nutrients back into the water I don't have bio balls and no aquariaiest I kno has them all heathy reefs

Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Start off with the basics and work your way up. What are your parameters? (all of them-ammo,trites,trates,phosphate,calc,mag,etc) do you use rodi water or tap water? How much are you feeding of what food? Water changes? With rodi water or tap? Topping off with what type of water? These may seem like pointless pieces of info but it helps us to pinpoint the exact cause of your problems. Also i would most def take out every last sponge/filter pad and give them a solid cleaning
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea huma, I agree with you cause tap will add a lot to your water as well I use ro but I'm cycling that's y mine are high I added 85lbs live rock nearly 2 weeks ago I have macro to eat up and use the byproduct of the cycleing so hopefully my parameters don't get so high and have to wait as long before I can seed my tank with mysis and pods
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok will post all parameters hopefully tonight except phosphat.in sa phosphate testes are pathetically expensive u hardly get them. only use ro water no tap water whatsoever as we had a bummer with that in Malawi tank. feed once a day 1 block of ocean nutrition prime reef. water change 1nce a week 10% with ro water. topups also with ro water daily. there is only one filter spnge and geta cleaned out at the very least 1nce a week. was at marine shop took my hammer and torch in and popped in again this afternoon , looking much beter.he gave me a bacteria thing that I should try says it will work in couple of days...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your tanks specific gravity? It may be low.

The curlers aren't doing your tank any favors. Their job is to turn ammonia into nitrate and they do that very well. The first step is to remove them. Bio media in a reef should always be live rock and sand. Anything else will cause high nitrates. I've never needed them in reef tanks.

You're doing everything right with regards to water. I'd really like to know your salt level though. Your nitrates are high but you're corals shouldn't be that bad off. You have nice rock, a good skimmer and a good sump. Pulling out the curlers will likely make the biggest difference. I would also recommend using a 250ml jar of Purigen in The Bag. It'll last for years and years with recharging and help draw out excess DOCs. I hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks will then remove the curlers and check what it does.shot.not sure what you mean by specific gravity. will post the parameters in a minute.just getting little one to sleep
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

ph - 8
ca - 520 mg/l
no3 - 50mg/l
kh - 6 dKH
nh 4 - 0mg / l
salanity - 1, 032
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your salt content should be somewhere around 1.025... 1.032 is too high and could be causing some coral problems. 50 isnt really all that bad for trates. I mean we preach about it being as close to zero as possible but i dont believe 50 would cause too many problems
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

using read sea coral pro salt.and there it indicates that salanity should be 1, 030 kh should be 12.2 and ca 450.so somewhere something still aint right :-( getting so confused already.feels like a never ending battle

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com