Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just tested my tank and it appears my nitrates are high. What's the best and quickest way to reduce it

What is your regular water change schedule and why do (you) think your nitrates are high?

How do you remove nitrates normally? A PWC will mearly lower the level by 10% if that is you WC schedule. Do you have a skimmer or macro algae. Those are the only real methods to lower nitrates significantly (other than massive radical water changes) other than using resins or the such.

If you rely solely on water changes to lower nitrates, your nitrate level will rise until the amount you remove weekly is the same as how much protien (food) you add per week.

Mathimatically,
1 tsp (5ml) pure protien (food) added per week into a 400l system (75+30 * 3.8) is
.005/400 = 0.0000125 L/L or 12.5 ppm.
Removing 10% per week, or more correctly, leaving 90% behind per week, your level will increase until your converted protiens (nitrate) are at a whopping 125ppm.
Yeah water changes.

So you need to remove 5mL of food per week or 12.5ppm nitrate. Now denitrifying bacteria will remove a small portion of that 12.5ppm, but they still need significant help.

Awesome thanks for the post it was very helpful. Yes I have a protein skimmer I was told on my bed of sand in sump I should add micro algae........ Do I get this at an aquarium store??????

Back
Top Bottom