Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 246
Nitrates

Just tested my tank and it appears my nitrates are high. What's the best and quickest way to reduce it
__________________

__________________
TheGrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrapeApe View Post
Just tested my tank and it appears my nitrates are high. What's the best and quickest way to reduce it
Quick. None. Just do your water changes and it will lower.
__________________

__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Quick. None. Just do your water changes and it will lower.
How often will be safe for water changes?
__________________
TheGrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
How many gallons is your tank??
__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
How many gallons is your tank??
I have a 75 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump
__________________
TheGrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
What is your regular water change schedule and why do (you) think your nitrates are high?
__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
What is your regular water change schedule and why do (you) think your nitrates are high?
My water changes are every 2 weeks. Idk why my nitrates were so high
__________________
TheGrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
Try weekly water changes, 10% how much do you feed and how often?
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 246
[QUOTE="Bectan01;2682557"]Try weekly water changes, 10% how much do you feed and how often?[/QUOT

How about 2 changes a week I feed them frozen shrimp brine cubes every 3 days
__________________
TheGrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Comox, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,837
How do you remove nitrates normally? A PWC will mearly lower the level by 10% if that is you WC schedule. Do you have a skimmer or macro algae. Those are the only real methods to lower nitrates significantly (other than massive radical water changes) other than using resins or the such.

If you rely solely on water changes to lower nitrates, your nitrate level will rise until the amount you remove weekly is the same as how much protien (food) you add per week.

Mathimatically,
1 tsp (5ml) pure protien (food) added per week into a 400l system (75+30 * 3.8) is
.005/400 = 0.0000125 L/L or 12.5 ppm.
Removing 10% per week, or more correctly, leaving 90% behind per week, your level will increase until your converted protiens (nitrate) are at a whopping 125ppm.
Yeah water changes.

So you need to remove 5mL of food per week or 12.5ppm nitrate. Now denitrifying bacteria will remove a small portion of that 12.5ppm, but they still need significant help.
__________________

__________________
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.