Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just tested my water in my 125 and the trates show about between 0-10. I know this isnt much, but I am accustomed to 0 all of the time. I do have a weird question in that can testing you levels AFTER you feed mess the readings up? I had just fed so I wanted to see if this might have something to do with it?? I know it will mess up the PH but didnt know about other leveles.

Thanks

Testing immediately after feeding may alter the results. Especially if you happened to capture a small food particle in the test vial

If you feeding dry food probably not but if you feeding frozen or live food then definitely will.

No I fed frozen food and it had been soaked in all sorts of vitamins and such. Guess I need to pick a better time to test the water!!
Along the same lines, since basically all of my levels are in line, I want to start doing small water changes more freq so my question is, on a 125, if I do a 10 gallon water change say 2 times a week, would this make a dent at all? I have only been doing (for the past year) 1-2 water changes a month. The most water I have changed out was 15 gallons. Granted a 10-15 gallon water change is only 10%, but is it doing any good?
Also do I necessarily have to vacumn the CC each time or just syphon the water out?
Thanks

If your nitrates are staying between 0-10 and your tank has been up for a while, I'd say your current method is fine and doesn't really need to be altered.

Back
Top Bottom