Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I find that my SeaChem kit reads 50+ for NItrates when my Salifert kit reads between 10 and 25. I wish they made an inexpensive (<$100), calibrated meter for NO2/NO3

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been feeding frozen but I have cut way back. Checked them this morning and they have dropped to closer to 10. I think I may have been overfeeding but the fish are swimming around a lot more looking for food. I hope it's not to bad on them.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a bit consussing so hopefully some of they more "chemically" minded poeple can chim in here. I was struggling with this topic as well and Darin from captivereefs helped me out. Your reading of "50" in the nitrate category is a reading in ppm. While I believe the desired outcome label is mg/L. To convert your ppm nitrate to mg/L all you do is divide by 4.4. So, 50ppm of nitrate will give you 11.36mg/L of nitrogen. This came right from the SeaChem Marine Basic kit ibstructions..."Nitrate is relatively non-toxic, but it is advantageous to control it to under 20mg/L."
So asically by converting your nitrate reading from ppm to mg/L, things do do look as bad. I was concerned once because my nitrates where 10pmm. Turns out they were really onely 2.3mg/L after conversion. I really hope someone can elaborate on this for me...Lando
Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am also having a problem with nitrates so I checked my kit after reading your post. It says the ppm andmg/l are equel up to 160 ppm. The difference of the 4.4 times is between nitrate ion(total nitrate) and nitrate-nitrogen. The nitrate-nitrogen will be 4.4 times less than the total nitrate.

So after all this info from my test kit what does this mean? Should we be looking at total nitrate or just the nitrate nitrogen?

My test reads in total nitrate and I get readings of 40 ppm(just got a fuge to help). If I only need to be concerned with nitrate-nitrogen I am under 10 which is not as big of a concern.

I am confused. Sorry for the long post and not trying to hijack the thread just trying to figure it out for all of us that are confused.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

great question...I will be awaiting an explaination as well.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess I should have kept reading it states that a reading of 40 ppm or under is recommended(for freshwater) and as close to 0 is desireable(for saltwater). I still am interested in everyones opinion here.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

All i can add is that my Seachem used to give me a near 0 reading on nitrates, usually around the 5-10 mark (light pink). Now it is near the other end of the scale but not beyond as it had been . This is after several 20% water changes, cutting feeding back to 1x every 2 days.

Wiaitng to hear more...
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPD109
So after all this info from my test kit what does this mean? Should we be looking at total nitrate or just the nitrate nitrogen?
You want to measure the total nitrate (ion). The Salifert website also notes that any presence of Amines in the water will skew the results of various manufacturers.

Seachem uses a "reference sample" to guage accuracey with their tests (one reason I dislike them) but I did note this from their website. Don't know if it's relevant to anyone here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachem
Q: The nitrate reading on my kit is reading too low. I checked the reference and it looks lower than it should be?
A: There was an unfortunate typo on several batches of the Nitrate instructions in which the reference was listed as 1 mg/L; it is actually 10 mg/L (which actually makes your problem even more pronounced!). However, if you do the two following two things your test should read the reference correctly (a) use 2 full stems of sample instead of 1 and (b) vigorously shake, squeeze and tap on a table the Nitrate Reagent#2 so that you obtain a very distinctly grey drop. Assuming you get a correct reading with the reference, you can now run your test samples in the same manner and be assured of the test's accuracy. If have followed the above instructions yet you still get too low a reading for the reference, then contact us to obtain replacement reagents.
Cheers
Steve
Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

jyjtryjnrsghtryjtrgnteynteyjtdeyjnd
Old 01-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how long ago did you add the Live rock? if it wasn't cured right it my cause your levels to rise.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com