Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nitrate's

My nitrates are at 15 and I want to add some corals pretty soon. I have been doing a 10% water change every third week and have just recently went to a 15% a week but the no3 hasnt changed, I cut back on feeding and all other water conditions are great. Any ideas ???

Old 01-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is the tank, what size, how much LR and are you using Crushed coral or sand? What type of filtration if any, wet/dry, sump, hang on back filter. Do you have a skimmer and is it working... Have you tested your water before you add it to the tank? There could be NO3 in your water......

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank is around 5-6 months old 150 gallon, running a skimmer and it is working. 100 pounds of live rock, rodi water, 4.5" inch dsb.
My no3 was 0 when i started the tank. I have a small-med blue tang,small yellow tang, sailfin, and a small clown.
I only have around 6 hermits and 4 snails. I was wondering if this could be part of the problem. My tank is algae free for the most part and like I said everything else is perfect.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I would say since you have a skimmer (and its producing) and the amt of LR you have, I would think you are maybe overfeeding. Do you feed a lot? I dont think snails hermits have anything to do with it.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You might want to have it tested at your LFS. Your test kit may not be reading correctly. Mine always reads 0 which isn't terrible, but I don't believe it. Specially if you do not have any algea. I just added 10 lbs of lr, algea is everywhere, but it reads zero. 8)
Old 01-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Over feeding may be an issue. What is your schedule? Also, if you are relying on your LR to help with biofiltration you are a bit on the low end. To really see biofiltration benifits of the LR you need 200-300lbs. What else are you using for filtration?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any chance you can setup a refugium (even a small one)? That would certainly be a good solution and keep your nitrates down consistantly, which will help keep the corals .

Here's a pic of mine, it's small but effective!

Jim
Old 01-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is all the filtration i have. I'm going to be adding another 150lbs or so of lr here pretty soon. The lfs showed me their tanks were between 15-20 and said it would be fine but everything I have read showed between 5-10. I want to do it right and not harm any corals. I checked today and it may have dropped just a little bit but still a little on the high side from what I know.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding your fish? Sometimes the frozen foods can elevate nitrates. I try switching to flakes every other day to help control it better. 15-20 is acceptable for FO, but it may be on the high side for corals. Just a thought.

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had problems with nitrates in the past... I know that mine hovered around that for a while.... I had no problems with my corals.... I would recommend finding xenia and maybe adding macros for some nutrient export... that helped me alot... I also had a kit that was reading too high.... try a different brand see what you get.....

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com