Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4HIRE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Nitrates are always high, I think I'm overfeeding. I'm affraid to under feed them though. How do I determine the correct amount?

Attachments

• tomato_clown.jpg
    tomato_clown.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 193
  • tomato_clown.jpg
    tomato_clown.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 195
Give them a pinch, if they clean it up quickly, give them a bit more but you don't want to give them so much that the majority of it falls to the bottom and fouls up your water. Feeding a small amount daily is fine so long as everyone gets a nibble. Also, feeding every other day is ok too. If feeding every day, you should at least skip one day a week.

Nitrates can be caused by a few things, when you mean high, how high? Water changes will lower it, also make sure the water your using dont contain nitrates.

The end result of your cycle is nitrates. This can be relieved as stated above by PWC and also a protein skimmer will reduce them. Refugiums with macroalgea also help. And one of the big reasons for nitrates is overfeeding. I feed my tank every other day and been doing so for 8 years. If you think you are over feeding you probably are. Follow the good advice that fluff gave you.

If you think you are overfeeding, you probably are. Fish live longer on a 30% reduced calorie diet, or so the research says.

What type of filter system are you using? Wet/dry systems can be a major cause of high nitrates as can a substrate of crushed coral if not cleaned regularly.

Tell us about your tank set up and post all your water parameters. Also what's in the tank, how longs it's been set up and how often and much you do a PWC.

i had my nitrates to high, around 160 or so, finally i had to do this http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/l/aa091901.htm its a bit drastic and as long as syphon the new water in slowly, it doesnt cause a problem. theyve been at a steady 20 since ( with the exception of when i had to feed flake for my goby) the small water changes didnt do a thing for me, so thats what i had to do. i hth, but i guess it depends on how bad it is....

Back
Top Bottom