Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

How effective is a media reactor to drive down phosphates and nitrates

Old 03-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Depending what's in it, very effective.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dosed with the Red Sea and after 3 doses I came home and all my fish and shrimp were dead. The only thing that survived was an urchin and my hermit crabs and snails. The urchin almost died but pulled out of it. I took my water to the LFS to see what they could figure out and all the parameters were good my nitrate was at 0 and my phosphate was 0. After talking to them I told them I had Clear Max phosphate remover in my filter and they said that Red Sea would interact with the Clear Max and leach out the ferric oxide poisoning my fish. I'm not sure if this is what happened but I do know that I lost all my fish 3 days into dosing. But it did work I have no nitrate or phosphate anymore.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm puting in swc phosphate remover po4x4 I believe in my homemade reactor Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394399516.076024.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	226814
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats pretty cool, I wish I understood the ways things worked a little better I would diy everything I could
Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbdn View Post
I dosed with the Red Sea and after 3 doses I came home and all my fish and shrimp were dead. The only thing that survived was an urchin and my hermit crabs and snails. The urchin almost died but pulled out of it. I took my water to the LFS to see what they could figure out and all the parameters were good my nitrate was at 0 and my phosphate was 0. After talking to them I told them I had Clear Max phosphate remover in my filter and they said that Red Sea would interact with the Clear Max and leach out the ferric oxide poisoning my fish. I'm not sure if this is what happened but I do know that I lost all my fish 3 days into dosing. But it did work I have no nitrate or phosphate anymore.

That's awful, sorry for the loss!

I need to study what Clear Max is composed of, obviously GFO from what you said, but I don't fully understand the chemical reaction that would cause this. The Red Sea product is by my best guess composed of mostly methanol. Alcohol in general doesn't effect ferric oxide, but a lot of people that use this stuff also use GFO, so that's why I am confused as to what happened to you.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm7373 View Post
I constantly dose Red Sea No3Po4x to try and remove phosphates but it has always been around 0.5-1.0 no matter what. Apart from not feeding excessively which I'm careful with, what is a good way of reducing phosphates?
Ever since i used this filter media my phosphate has been at normal level.

PURA PhosLock Filter Media - 1135 g | thatpetplace.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

i was confused to I had no problems the first two doses then after the third dose I came home a couple hours after I dosed and found all the fish and shrimp dead and the urchin looking like it was about dead. I took the product and a sample of water to the place I got it from and thats what the guy came up with after all my water tests looked good. In the directions it says "not to use with sulphur based de-nitrators or phosphate and nitrate removers as the different methods of phosphate and nitrate reduction will cause interference." I wouldn't think interference would mean death. It could have also been an oxygen depletion of the tank from a bacteria bloom I guess. But I am not taking any chances in the future I will not use the clear max only Red Sea and I will also dose half the amount they recommend.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That makes sense, you would have noticed a bacterial bloom. Tank can be foggy or even milky. If your oxygen level was already low it could have caused a real problem.

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates, phosphate, phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com