Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
nitrates around 20ppm is this bad or exceptable?

i test for nitrates about everyday and usually get a reading of around 20ppm i am about due for a water change but i only have 2 baby o clowns that are picky eaters a LMB and a newly added 6 line wrasse that isnt doing to good also have a feather duster and a handful of hermits and snails oh and a red mythrax and emerald mythrax crab. i feed the fish prime reef frozen food and only about a 1/4 of a cube a day and sometimes give them brine shrimp, use to give them about 1/2 a cube but noticed how picky of eaters the clowns where and they always left a lot of food floating. so should i feed them once every other day or keep feeding them what i am now but get more hermits?

Old 03-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
20ppm of nitrate isnt that big of a deal for a fish only tank. For a tank with corals and other inverts I would try to keep it lower than that.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just looked at the compatibility chart on the home page. It says that clowns and wrasses are both carnivores and not herbivores. The food that you are feeding them, is it one of the ones that has both meaty and greeny foods? Like for the whole reef? They are probably picky eaters because half of their food supply is not to their liking. In fact I don't see anything in your list that is an herbivore except the snails and they eat the algae from your tank not from the food. I don't know what a LMB is and this may be your herbivore, but if not, maybe you need to switch to a meaty food only. It will cut back on waste and your clowns and wrasse will love you for it.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see where you are coming from Kat...but my clowns LOVE Formula 2, which is their herbivore formula. But I've found fish are as picky about food as humans, so your point is quite valid.

What I will say is that brine shrimp is a poor choice of food. It has very little nutritional value. I'd suggest going with mysis shrimp...or ocean krill. Mysis would be better, and will fatten all your fish up. Krill I simply use for a chance of pace.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty sure that Prime Reef isn't an herbivore formula, specifically. It is more red not green (Formula 2 is the herbivore formula and is very green). My tank devours an entire cube of Prime Reef in the blink of an eye with my maroon clown heading up the pack! Of course these fish also do a number on the F2. Make sure that you're smushing the food up good for the tiny mouths. I try to make sure that I leave a variety of sizes in the food when I mush it but I have some big fish and some smaller ones.

If your fish are being fussy about what they eat try adding garlic to the food before feeding it to them. They might respond better to that.

My corals were definitely affected by the high nitrates in my tank. One of my Xenia melted down and my Kenya tree didn't like it either. It wouldn't come out but recovered nicely once I got the trates down. My 2 skunk cleaners have disappeared too. I think it was the trates that did them in. The fish didn't miss a beat.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so what should i strive for as far as nitrates? what is an acceptable amount of ppm?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

for inverts like cleaner shrimp, mushrooms, zoos, and like clams? also a LMB is short for lawn mower blenny.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

also acclimating a rainford goby right now
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
I would try to keep it as close to 0PPM as possible, but not higher than 10PPM.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Amount of Nitrates.

The F&S catalog shows a product called Nitrex. It's supposed to help reduce nitrates. It also comes with a "nitrex box." Has anyone tried using the product? Does it substantively reduce nitrates?

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com