Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

You might want to check your equipment. If your 'my tanks' is correct and the fact that you lost the clowns then that leaves you with 1 fish, correct.. the 2 clowns you had for 5 days... so one would suspect that the issue may be in the maintenance/equipment area.

However,

what are u using for filtration? HOB, Canister, sump? Using a filter sock?
How many powerheads?

Did you cycle/cure the rock in tank? How long ago?

When you say everything else in the tank is fine; inverts/fish... Isn't that 1 fish at this point? 3 total, 2 died?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Try to think back and see if you can come up with "Why" your nitrates are that high in the first place.
Check your source water, check your feeding, check the bioload of your tank...maybe max out your tank. you may need more flow, an HOB to scurb your water once a month or so. You might have to syphon a 1/3rd of your sand to help the CUC catch up with the load. The list goes on but I think you get what I am trying to say..."Find the problem" and it will be easier down the road when you decide to venture into a reef setup.
The bioload I dont think is an issue as I only have one fish at the moment. Im considering getting the oceanic protein skimmer thats made for the BioCube. I will start to investigate however where the problem is. I only feed once every 2 days and I only feed enough for my one fish to eat everything. We'll see what I find...Thanks TC

Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CementShoes View Post
You might want to check your equipment. If your 'my tanks' is correct and the fact that you lost the clowns then that leaves you with 1 fish, correct.. the 2 clowns you had for 5 days... so one would suspect that the issue may be in the maintenance/equipment area.

However,

what are u using for filtration? HOB, Canister, sump? Using a filter sock?
How many powerheads?

Did you cycle/cure the rock in tank? How long ago?

When you say everything else in the tank is fine; inverts/fish... Isn't that 1 fish at this point? 3 total, 2 died?
Well, I have a BioCube so that comes with the filtration. Along with having the 30lbs of LR, I have the biological, chemical, and mechanical filtration that the cubes come with. The LR that I got was cured and the tank cycled with it in there for about 4 weeks prior to me putting any life in it. Yes, everything is fine meaning that my one fish is doing well for 5 weeks now, along with all my inverts and my sea star.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't they have one of those 'all in one' filter inserts? If so, how often do you change that? BTW: the suggestion to test your source water is worthwhile as well. It will tell you what your starting point is/was. Be that 0 or 10 or whatever, it gives you an idea of what your tank is producing outside of the water content going in.

I'll confess I don't know much about biocubes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Don't they have one of those 'all in one' filter inserts? If so, how often do you change that? BTW: the suggestion to test your source water is worthwhile as well. It will tell you what your starting point is/was. Be that 0 or 10 or whatever, it gives you an idea of what your tank is producing outside of the water content going in.

I'll confess I don't know much about biocubes
Yeah they have the carbon filter insert that I change every 3 weeks. I will definitely start to check my source water for nitrates and see what the levels are. Thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Those insert things can cause huge nitrates if they are not kept clean. Esp if you feed too much the excess ends up trapped in the mechanical filter media and ends up as nitrates.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Those insert things can cause huge nitrates if they are not kept clean. Esp if you feed too much the excess ends up trapped in the mechanical filter media and ends up as nitrates.

Hmm, good point, I know I dont feed too much but I should maybe clean them every couple of days (although I do change them every 3 weeks or so)

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com