Nitrates at ~30ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK guys, I have had my nitrates at ~30ppm for several weeks now and everybody seems to be doing fine. I have done 2 water changes in 3 weeks and I dont know why they arent going down...Any suggestions? My livestock is doing perfectly fine though so IDK.

The only thing is...I got my two clowns last week and after 5 days found them dead. I have no idea why. I took them right out and checked all my params...

pH = 8.0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = ~30
Ammonia = 0
Alkalinity = 180
SG = 1.023

Also, everything else in the tank (fish and inverts, including my CC sea star) are perfectly fine and enjoying life. I called the LFS where I got them from (not the usual LFS that I use) and they told me that it could have been do to the fact that they were a new shipment (they failed to tell me this when I got them) and could have gotten sick or something during the shipping. Could it have been anything with my tank or is it them??

That 180 alkalinity is in what units and using what test brand? Is it in ppm's or dkh or meq/l?

Dropping nitrates is like doing a math problem. If your nitrate is at 30ppm and you do a 20% water change with RO/DI water that has 0 nitrate, the level in your tank will drop to 24. Assuming they don't rise for your next water change, 24ppm with 20% change will drop to 19 and on and on.

Your alk is fine. 180 ppm = 3.6 meq/l = 10 dKH

Dropping nitrates is like doing a math problem. If your nitrate is at 30ppm and you do a 20% water change with RO/DI water that has 0 nitrate, the level in your tank will drop to 24. Assuming they don't rise for your next water change, 24ppm with 20% change will drop to 19 and on and on.

Your alk is fine. 180 ppm = 3.6 meq/l = 10 dKH

Thanks ccCapt, are the nitrates alright though? I mean, Im pretty sure they are and all the inhabitants are doing and have been doing fine with the small exception of the clowns which Im pretty sure was nothing to do with my tank...:)

I agree with Larry. If only fish then you`ll be OK. For corals you are talking a different story.I am kind of concerned for your inverts though.

I agree with Larry. If only fish then you`ll be OK. For corals you are talking a different story.I am kind of concerned for your inverts though.

Hmm, well inverts seem to be doing excellent and the nitrates have been like that since I got the tank started therefore the inverts have been in it for about 5 weeks now. I will do frequent water changes if thats what it takes.

Try to think back and see if you can come up with "Why" your nitrates are that high in the first place.
Check your source water, check your feeding, check the bioload of your tank...maybe max out your tank. you may need more flow, an HOB to scurb your water once a month or so. You might have to syphon a 1/3rd of your sand to help the CUC catch up with the load. The list goes on but I think you get what I am trying to say..."Find the problem" and it will be easier down the road when you decide to venture into a reef setup.

You might want to check your equipment. If your 'my tanks' is correct and the fact that you lost the clowns then that leaves you with 1 fish, correct.. the 2 clowns you had for 5 days... so one would suspect that the issue may be in the maintenance/equipment area.

However,

what are u using for filtration? HOB, Canister, sump? Using a filter sock?
How many powerheads?

Did you cycle/cure the rock in tank? How long ago?

When you say everything else in the tank is fine; inverts/fish... Isn't that 1 fish at this point? 3 total, 2 died?

Last edited:
Try to think back and see if you can come up with "Why" your nitrates are that high in the first place.
Check your source water, check your feeding, check the bioload of your tank...maybe max out your tank. you may need more flow, an HOB to scurb your water once a month or so. You might have to syphon a 1/3rd of your sand to help the CUC catch up with the load. The list goes on but I think you get what I am trying to say..."Find the problem" and it will be easier down the road when you decide to venture into a reef setup.

The bioload I dont think is an issue as I only have one fish at the moment. Im considering getting the oceanic protein skimmer thats made for the BioCube. I will start to investigate however where the problem is. I only feed once every 2 days and I only feed enough for my one fish to eat everything. We'll see what I find...Thanks TC

You might want to check your equipment. If your 'my tanks' is correct and the fact that you lost the clowns then that leaves you with 1 fish, correct.. the 2 clowns you had for 5 days... so one would suspect that the issue may be in the maintenance/equipment area.

However,

what are u using for filtration? HOB, Canister, sump? Using a filter sock?
How many powerheads?

Did you cycle/cure the rock in tank? How long ago?

When you say everything else in the tank is fine; inverts/fish... Isn't that 1 fish at this point? 3 total, 2 died?

Well, I have a BioCube so that comes with the filtration. Along with having the 30lbs of LR, I have the biological, chemical, and mechanical filtration that the cubes come with. The LR that I got was cured and the tank cycled with it in there for about 4 weeks prior to me putting any life in it. Yes, everything is fine meaning that my one fish is doing well for 5 weeks now, along with all my inverts and my sea star.

Don't they have one of those 'all in one' filter inserts? If so, how often do you change that? BTW: the suggestion to test your source water is worthwhile as well. It will tell you what your starting point is/was. Be that 0 or 10 or whatever, it gives you an idea of what your tank is producing outside of the water content going in.

I'll confess I don't know much about biocubes

Don't they have one of those 'all in one' filter inserts? If so, how often do you change that? BTW: the suggestion to test your source water is worthwhile as well. It will tell you what your starting point is/was. Be that 0 or 10 or whatever, it gives you an idea of what your tank is producing outside of the water content going in.

I'll confess I don't know much about biocubes

Yeah they have the carbon filter insert that I change every 3 weeks. I will definitely start to check my source water for nitrates and see what the levels are. Thanks guys.

Those insert things can cause huge nitrates if they are not kept clean. Esp if you feed too much the excess ends up trapped in the mechanical filter media and ends up as nitrates.

Those insert things can cause huge nitrates if they are not kept clean. Esp if you feed too much the excess ends up trapped in the mechanical filter media and ends up as nitrates.

Hmm, good point, I know I dont feed too much but I should maybe clean them every couple of days (although I do change them every 3 weeks or so)

Back
Top Bottom